mini DVDs and slot drives

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
when hi8 or whatever came out there were special VHS cassettes that weren't really cassettes so much as adaptors - you'd put the mini tape inside it, then put it inside your vcr and wala - your VHS vcr is playing hi8 on your tv.

isn't there some sort of dvd ring thingy that you use to have mini dvds load in a slot drive?

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
There was NEVER an adapter made to play a 8mm or Hi8 tape in a VHS machine. Perhaps you're thinking of the VHS-C format. There was and still is an adapter available to play VHS-C cassettes in a VHS VCR.

There are rings made for MiniDVDs, but that ring is to help stabilize the small discs in tray-loading players and drives. All of the one's I've seen (so far) have a declaimer stating they are not to be used in slot loading drives.

If there is one available that's recommended for slot loading drives, I've yet to see it.

-DH

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
If there is one available that's recommended for slot loading drives, I've yet to see it.-DH
Memorex make an adapter that they say will work for slot loading drives [link]. But they add a disclaimer that it may not work with vertical slot drives. Therefore while it should be good for a Mac Mini, MB, or MBP, it may not be a solution for the iMac.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Probably cheaper and safer to buy an external dvd drive rather than risking damaging your internal one which could cost hundreds to repair.