Mini DVD's - do they work on Mac.?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Darthmat, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Darthmat macrumors newbie

Darthmat

My friend is doing a video for school, the grad. video to be specific, and she filmed everything on a DVD camcorder. I have the OSX 10.5.2, and was wondering if the Mac. supports and burns these. Do I need a specific App. to do this?

I copied this from About This Mac>Hardware>Disc Burning.
    Firmware Revision: ZF1E
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
    Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds
    Am I screwed, or is it possible?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Do not put that disc in your Mac if it has a slot loading drive! It'll wreck your disc drive.

Use the camera by connecting it with the USB cable and iMovie (so long as you've got an Intel machine) will import and convert the video into something that can be edited.

MiniDVD cameras are a pain in the neck for post-shoot editing but the new version of iMovie can handle the footage just DO NOT put a miniDVD into a slot-loading disc drive.

3. Darthmat thread starter macrumors newbie

Darthmat

How do I check if I have an intel, or a slot loading drive? Is the S.L.D. what laptops come with? 'Cus I have a laptop. Thanks for the help!

4. Darthmat thread starter macrumors newbie

Darthmat

I do have Intel.
    Code:
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Is that good enough?

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes, and all Macs bar the Mac Pro have a slot-loading drive ie. you put the disc into a slot. The Mac Pro has a tray-loading drive - you put the disc on a tray.

6. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Intel is the processor. It has nothing to do with your drive. If your drive sucks the disc in (as all current mac laptops do), then don't put it in.

7. teksurv macrumors member

I take it someone has stuck one of these in a slot drive? It seems obvious not to do so to me, but who knows.

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

It wrecks the drive?!? Mini-CD/Mini-DVD are a part of the standard. It shouldn't wreck them. I do remember there was a 'floppy' mini-CD/DVD distributed (in UK I think) that would ruin the slot drives, but a real disc shouldn't wreck it.

The Wii handles them just fine; it is a requirement of Gamecube compatibility.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It wrecks the drive. The slot-loading drives in all Macs do not accept 8cm discs. Apple has a knowledge base article on it, I have booked in countless machines with buggered drives from 8cm discs.

The Wii has a special drive that can cope with the smaller discs - I'd imagine it's a thicker, more expensive unit.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Wii has the only dual-size slot-load drive in the world; it should handle them fine. Our do, at least.

They're not part of the standard, they're part of the problem. Along with novelty-shaped disks.

11. Darthmat thread starter macrumors newbie

Darthmat

Thanks everyone! I'll be using the USB, or a firewire, if the camera is compatible.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not to mention the Wii drive has to be able spin in the opposite direction of regular discs.

13. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

Yes, please dont metion it because it's just not true. (It is a common misconception though)

The disks are just read backwards, not spun backwards. (The start of the disk is the outside edge rather than the centre as with normal disks)

14. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

You can make a mini DVD the same size as a regular DVD with a certain plastic border that you can clip on, if I'm not mistaken.

--Erwin