mini dvds & macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stealthster, May 24, 2007.

1. stealthster macrumors newbie

Just wondering if the macs can except those 8cm 3in. that are for my camcorder. trying to ruleout any hope. :D

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I wouldn't be putting mini-DVDs into your slot loading drive. It's been talked about in other threads: gettin' 'em out is a pain, and the Mac won't read 'em.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they'll only work in a Mac Pro since they have a tray, any slot loading drive will have issues.

4. stealthster thread starter macrumors newbie

Just what I thought, thanks for the fast reply. I'll try searching for those threads.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

buy an external drive that is compatible with the smaller discs...

6. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

someone said that 3" discs are difficult to remove. this is untrue; they are usually impossible to remove without opening the drive mechanism.

err, can't you hook a cable between your camera and the computer?

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Don't try it.

The only slot-load Macs that support the mini CDs or DVDs (8 cm) are the now positively ancient CD-ROM or DVD-ROM equipped slot-load iMac G3s and DVD-ROM equipped Titanium PowerBook G4s. None of the CD-RW, Combo Drive, or SuperDrive models of those, or ANY of the later slot-load (iMac G5, Intel iMac, iBook G4, Aluminum PowerBook G4, Mac mini, MacBook, or MacBook Pro,) computers support them.

So unless you happen to have one of the two models I mentioned above, you'll either need an external tray-load drive (or, obviously, a native tray-load Mac like the iMac G4, eMac, or any Power Mac or Mac Pro,) or you'll need to plug the cable between your Camcorder and the computer. The camcorder *SHOULD* appear as an external DVD-ROM drive with no extra drivers needed. (Although I know one manufacturer doesn't make it that easy, but I can't remember which manufacturer it is.)

Then, if you want to EDIT the video, you'll need something to transcode it from whatever format your camcorder stores it in (generally MPEG-2 for standard definition models, and AVC/H.264 for high definition models,) to something easier to edit. For MPEG-2, your best bet is probably ffmpegx, for H.264, you're presently out of luck. Hopefully the next rev of iMovie will support native AVC/H.264 editing, since AVCHD camcorders seem to be on the way to becoming the 'standard' for consumer HD camcorders.

And, yes, if you put the 8 cm disc into a slot-load drive that doesn't support 8 cm discs, your only realistic hope to get it out is to dismantle the drive.