Mini-DVI-DVI then DVI-HDMI

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NiroshanMan, Jun 3, 2008.

1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

So I bought this DVI-HDMI cord on eBay, and am going to buy this Mini-DVI to DVI cable for my MacBook, so i can hook it up to my HDTV.
    My question is are their different types of Mini-DVI to DVI cables made by Apple or will anyone i find on ebay that is Mini-DVI to DVI work? Also will most any HDMI-DVI work? are their different types? i think i got the right one.
    Here are the links to the ones i bought or am going to buy

DVI-HDMI
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160246519085
    Mini-DVI to DVI
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180247661089

Anyone ever do this before to hook up their MacBook to an HDTV?

2. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

It looks like those should work. The important point is that the DVI to HDMI cable must have a DVI-D connector and not DVI-I. According to the eBay auction, it does. The Apple adapter will not work with a DVI-I cable.

I actually just ordered similar cables from Amazon yesterday, so I found out all of this stuff then. ;)

3. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks!
    how much did you end up paying for all of this?

4. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I got this cable for DVI to HDMI, about $15. You got a better deal, but I didn't feel like bothering with eBay. ;)

For the adapter, I figure I'll just get it at the local Apple Store when the other cable comes in. It's only a couple dollars more than the ones on eBay when you consider shipping.

5. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

are you pretty sure this will work? I asked the mini-dvi to dvi seller if this would work with HDMI if itd work, somehow they said no. But are you sure the HDMI-DVI will work cause i need it anyways for my bros MBP?

6. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Absolutely. ;) The cable I ordered just came in the mail. The HDMI-DVI cable works with a PowerBook G4 (DVI out) hooked up to my TV. The HDMI-DVI + DVI-MiniDVI works with the Macbook. Beautiful picture on the TV. 1080p movie trailers from apple.com look sublime. :cool:

The only minor problem I'm having is that the DVI-MiniDVI adapter from Apple seems to be a bit flaky - the signal from the Macbook goes out when the short adapter cord is in certain positions. I'll probably exchange it for another one.

7. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet! My Mini-DVI cable just came literally right now and that HDMI-DVI i bought should be coming in a few days! Thats great! thanks a lot

I can't wait to test it out! been wanting to play movies on my tv without having to burn dvds all the time, and it will be in 1080i some of em!!! great thanks hope you like yours!

8. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

recieved both the mini-dvi to dvi and dvi to hdmi today! great price and now great quality works great, though slighltly delayed its really nice and useful. came to about $21 all together including shipping. $6 for 6ft dvi-hdmi cable and then $15 for mini-dvi to dvi cable! find it cheap on ebay!

9. 49erPress macrumors newbie

i've got the 12" powerbook g4 and want to hook it up to my hdtv. when i went to best buy, they told me if i went from dvi to hdmi i would have picture but no sound. so the dvi to hdmi solution will carry picture and sound?

10. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

You get picture and no sound. For sound, you either need to hook up the sound separately using a different cable, or get a converter box like this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011405&p_id=4630&seq=1&format=2

HOWEVER in your case, the above box will not work because your PowerBook does not have digital audio output. So you'll have to run the audio separately from the headphone jack to a pair of stereo inputs on the TV using a cable like this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2

By the way, on a related note, I discovered monoprice.com after having posted in this thread last week. I needed a few more cables and things (unrelated to DVI/HDMI on the topic of this thread) and found that they have amazingly low prices for high quality cables. The ones I bought elsewhere for about $10 each would have been under $5 at Monoprice. The cables that I did buy from them earlier this week are very thick and high quality, for ridiculously low prices. We're talking $2-5 for the same quality stuff that Best Buy sells for $60 or more! :eek:

Highly recommended - I don't think I'll go anywhere else for cables and stuff like that now. :cool:

11. Stratification macrumors regular

I was going to point out Monoprice, but you beat me to it. I will say I've ordered a number of cables from them and never been disappointed though.