Mini-DVI / DVI to HDMI cables?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VaatiKaiba, Jul 16, 2009.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any particular models of the above type of cable? I've seen some such as this, but it's advertised as an HDMI to DVI cable - will it work the other way? This is for playing back video from my white MacBook to my HDTV.

Thanks!

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Yes that will work. The direction doesn't matter. Just buy whatever is cheapest.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea it should work. Do you have DVI input in your TV? I would use DVI instead if it's possible because it's cheaper. Remember that you need another cable for sound

4. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Hadn't thought about that - what sort of cables should I be looking for for sound then?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If it's the newest white MacBook, this should work.

6. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

It was bought at the end of 2007 - it should still work, shouldn't it?

Does DVI to DVI do full 1080p? I was under the illusion that only the HDMI ones did...

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. It's normal 3.5mm headphone jack what your MB has. It's the same that iPods has.

Single link DVI can do up to 1920x1200. I'm using DVI with my PS3 and 100" Full HD Mitsubishi video projector and it's perfect. HDMI's speciality is that it can transfer video (no limit yet) and 7.1 surround audio in one cable. If DVI isn't working well, get a HDMI.

8. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Can a DVI to HDMI cable do audio as well, or is it just HDMI to HDMI? And if so, are there any Mini-DVI to HDMI adaptors?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No because DVI can't. If MacBook had HDMI output then it would. Here is Mini DVI to HDMI adapter.

10. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

11. da1legend macrumors newbie

you can check out the adapters here, they're at reasonable prices. I got a mini-Display to HDMI from here. The quality is acceptable.
    This ones the MiniDVI to HDMI

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Never buy cables at a retail store, they are extremely overpriced. Go on ebay and look for HDMI 1.3 cables or whatever place in Europe that has really cheap cables.

Youll want HDMI 1.3 for safe 1080p support, "plain" HDMI cables might support 1080p but they arent required to.