Mini-DVI-HDMI Video & USB Audio Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Paulyboy, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Paulyboy macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have a late 2006 24" iMac with a Mini-DVI port. I'd like to connect it to my new LG 47LH30 LCD HDTV in another room. They are on each side of the same wall so I'd drill a tiny hole in the wall for the appropriate cables.

The video part seems easy. Just get the Mini-DVI-HDMI adapter and a 12' HDMI cable from Monoprice. For the audio portion I was wondering if a set of decent computer speakers (which somebody gave me) hooked up via USB to my iMac and set up below the HDTV would suffice until I can afford something better? I think I could hook them up using a long enough audio cable and the following adapter from Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

I already have speakers plugged into the headphone jack on my iMac so my hope is that the set up I described above would allow me to switch where my iMac's audio output goes to (Speakers by the iMac hooked up to headphone jack OR speakers by the HDTV hooked up to iMac via the USB to Audio Converter) from the "Sound Preference" pane? I imagine the speakers hooked up via the USB to Audio Converter would show up as "USB Audio" or something like that in the Sound Output control panel?

I might get one of those new iMacs soon and I realize there's now a Mini-Display port-HDMI with Audio adapter but that also takes up a USB port for the audio so if I do actually get a new iMac it looks like I could just get the Mini-Display port-HDMI without Audio and keep the same set up if I wish?

In any case I'm tired of waiting to do this so since it's so inexpensive I'd like to see what using an HDTV for an occasional Mac display is like - if the above set up would work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-PN

2. Jim777 macrumors newbie

How to hook up your Mac Mini to HDTV

Move your Mac Mini close to your television set. Make sure to connect to the Internet, bring in a monitor that you can hook up to your Mac Mini to trouble shoot any issues.

Determine what type of cable you need to hook the Mac Mini up to your television set. First you need to learn the type of inputs that you need for your television set and then find out what type you need to connect to a DVI cable.

Purchase the correct adapter cable for the connection.

Connect the DVI cable that your Mac Mini comes with to your Mac Mini, then connect the adapter cable to the DVI cable. The adapter cable should then connect to the television set.

Adjust the resolution settings inside the Mac Mini, so that you can correctly see your picture. Go to the "Displays" system menu and try different resolutions until you find the best one for your computer.

3. Paulyboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks but this doesn't even remotely answer my question. :confused:

-PN

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

The OP never even mentioned a mac mini, so what was the point of the ramble about the mini?

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I believe what you're describing will work the way you're imagining it. Video, definitely. The only hitch is whether to use mirroring or not, since it's an iMac; at 1920x1200 it's not going to match the 1080p of a TV, so you might have trouble with that. If the iMac just ends up displaying a slightly stretched 1080p image on its own screen while you use the TV that'd be ok, since you don't much care what's on its screen at that point.

Audio should do what you describe; you should be able to select the USB audio out in the pref pane and get only that output. That said, I've never tried that setup, so it's possible you'll run into glitches or annoyance--I know USB audio isn't 100% flawless, since questions about troubleshooting show up now and then.

I'd personally be more inclined to just run the audio to the TV with a minijack Y-splitter, and turn off the computer's external speakers when you were using the TV (or use an A/B switch); this wouldn't be as nice audio-wise as an ok pair of computer speakers, but you know it would work and you'd save that $50 (or whatever) to put toward a proper home theater setup later.

Sounds like you're already on top of it, but just to note, you also want to be careful not to buy computer speakers that are USB powered but still use a minijack for the input, versus one that is true USB output; I'm pretty sure at least some of the cheaper ones are set up that way to basically save on a power brick (either for laptops or compactness) without bothering to build in the USB circuitry.

6. Paulyboy thread starter macrumors 6502

This shouldn't be much of a problem. Macs are good at matching display resolutions of HDTVs.

The thing is I need to be able to easily change the audio output because I'm physically unable to d/c and r/c audio cables constantly. It doesn't have to sound like a home theater system or anything. I just need some k8nd of sound so any computing stuff done through the HDTV isn't in total silence. :) If I actually end up liking and using this alot I'll put more money into improving the sound.

I'll investigate this option as well but it doesn't sound as "accessible" to me.

The speakers somebody gave me are AC powered and use a 3.5" RCA connector - hence the need for that inexpensive USB-RCA adapter.

Thanks so much for your help. :)

-PN

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ahh, I somehow missed that you already HAVE the speakers you want to use. That does change things.

This device (Creative Xmod USB sound card) will certainly do it for about $25, though again not having tried one I can't guarantee how smooth switching outputs in the Sound pref pane will be:
    http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Xmod-Sound-Card/dp/B000IZ96LQ

Again, since a Y-splitter is only a couple of bucks and the iMac is going to be displaying whatever's on the TV anyway, that seems like the cheapest way to go, though. So long as you turn off the speakers at the TV before you walk away they won't be blasting the iMac's sound in the other room when you're in front of the computer, and you could either do the same when you leave the computer or just leave the speakers in there playing.

8. Paulyboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I understand what you mean now and I think you're idea is better (and much cheaper). Would this be ok for the Y-splitter plugged into the headphone jack on my iMac?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1021808&p_id=5614&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

So the above splitter would send the iMac's audio to BOTH the set of speakers by my iMac AND the other set of speakers by my HDTV simultaneously?

The set of speakers that would be by my HDTV actually came with a subwoofer. Those speakers plug into the subwoofer and the subwoofer would plug into the other side of the splitter above. As you mentioned I would just turn off the speakers by the HDTV when not in use.

This would probably be better anyways because I wouldn't be using up a precious USB port. Will this work? Thanks. :)

-PN

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

That adapter looks exactly right to me, and you're imagining the same thing I was describing. So yes, try it and hopefully it'll do everything you want. And hey, if it doesn't work, you're only out $2.

The only side effect will be that you'll probably have to turn the volume up a little higher on the speakers due to the splitter. You may already do this, but it should work best if you turn the volume all the way up on the Mac and then adjust it with the volume control on the two respective speaker sets.

10. jackdrogba macrumors newbie

In fact, I need to be able to easily change the audio output and the usb to hdmi converter 1080p, because I physically can not D / c and r / dirty audio cable continued. It does not sound like a home theater system or anything.

Speakers will be a set of high-definition TV, in fact, one of my subwoofer is the usb to hdmi problem. Those speakers bass speaker and subwoofer plug is inserted the other side of the split. As you mentioned, I just want to shut down high-definition television speaker when not in use.