Mini DVI on current macbook pro same as mini DVI on my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tigress666, May 24, 2010.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, so I got a question. I am pretty sure my 2007 macbook has a mini DVI for the monitor connection (I could be wrong?). I am curious if it is the same port that is on the macbook pro (I noticed when ordering the peripherals say mini DVI but not sure if something has changed).

I'm just curious cause I want to know if I need to order a new mini DVI to DVI adaptor (plus one to convert mini DVI to VGA? or whatever it is to connect to my tv using the port that has three jacks - one for video and two for stereo. Sorry, don't know the term for that connection). Or if I can just use the ones I have now.

2. Kevlar macrumors 6502

If you are talking about any Macbook Pro after the late 2008 release, it isn't Mini-dvi it is a mini-displayport. I don't think I have seen a mini-displayport cable to RCA. Think you would have to go mini-display to vga and then get a vga to RCA adaptor.

Edit: After thinking about the possible issues with conversion of the digital signal (mini-displayport) to an analog for the RCA, I thought I would look into it further and found this which identifies that a straight cable conversion solution won't work. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1752866&start=45&tstart=15 .

3. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

So there *is* a way to do it though, right? Cause honestly one of the main things I use my laptop for is watching videos from the net on TV (right now watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood which is being aired on Funimation's site on our tv). And while I'd love to just keep my old laptop and dedicate it to that (So I don't have to keep moving it from my room when we watch tv), I need the money from selling it to justify buying a new one.