Mini-DVI->Svideo->HDTV problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ucflyboy, Aug 10, 2011.

1. ucflyboy macrumors newbie

I have a mid-2007 iMac and I'm attempting to connect it to my 2005 model Panasonic plasma TV to mirror my desktop. I'm using a Dynex mini-DVI to s-video adapter and have have not yet been able to view my Mac desktop on my tv. I've tried various methods to get my Mac to recognize the tv, powering both off, one on one off, etc. but no luck so far. I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

2. ucflyboy thread starter macrumors newbie

I found a mini-DVI to HDMI cable at monoprice - would that be a more easily compatible solution?

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

If you've searched around you know already that these things often didn't work. Save yourself hassle and go to monoprice and get a cable that will use something besides s-video. S-video mirroring looks like a mac screen viewed through dog barf.

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

You'll only get 640*480 resolution out through that thing (which you'll most likely have to set in system preferences before enabling mirroring).

Most definitely. You'll also get full resolution output, there's no way 640*480 would be useable for full screen mirroring.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've found that only Apple's S-Video adapters work on Macs. S-Video can output up to 1024x768, but it still isn't enough to mirror the screen in a usable way.