Mini DVI switch?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Flyers1718, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Flyers1718 macrumors member

Flyers1718

I am going to buy a new mini soon and was wondering if there are any dvi switches so i can use a monitor and then s video on my tv.Cheap would be nice too. Also how could i get audio to my receiver.

2. JAT macrumors 603

Audio is easy, plug it in. You'll need a mini-Toslink adapter and a regular optical cable.

You can't split DVI and Svideo. You would have to get 2 cords and only use one at a time.

3. Leon Kowalski macrumors 6502a

Leon Kowalski

Try http://www.monoprice.com -- lots of video switch/adapter-type thingies, great prices, and a good rep for quality/service among the HDTV-fanatics at avsforum.com.

LK

4. Flyers1718 thread starter macrumors member

Flyers1718

Thanks for the help guy!

I checked monoprice as I have shopped there before and they didnt seem to have a simple dvi switch. All I want is one dvi in from the mini,one out to the monitor, and another out to the s video adapter for when I want to watch movies on my tv. I will not be using them at the same time so I thought you would be easy to find,I guess not.

5. JAT macrumors 603

See, the Apple adapters work with the video card. You can't just do a split and have both a DVI monitor and an Svideo monitor from one DVI output because they are completely different signals. You can have one or the other. Maybe a splitter would still work to simplify the connections if you switched back and forth between the monitors.

You really need a 2nd video processor to do this, which would mean a 2nd video card, which the Mini can't really do. Maybe there is a DVI to Svideo processor somewhere, but I couldn't see one. This would be a few hundred bucks, too. Probably more worth it to save towards an HDTV to replace your old TV, this would have DVI or HDMI.

6. Flyers1718 thread starter macrumors member

Flyers1718

I know I don't want to split it I want a switch just so I dont have to unplug the s video adapter. I would definitely get an hdtv if I had the money.

7. JAT macrumors 603

8. Flyers1718 thread starter macrumors member

Flyers1718

Wow,thanks a ton man! I cant believe I missed that I was looking forever.

9. JAT macrumors 603

Sorry, I'm not thinking clearly, fighting with kids. Should've mentioned:

While that should be ok, it will only work if you clearly only have one of the monitors on at a time, otherwise the Mac will probably not see either of them. A true A/B switch will probably be around $100. Maybe Nextag or Tigerdirect.

10. Flyers1718 thread starter macrumors member

Flyers1718

It's ok you have been a great help! All I need is one monitor or the tv because I just wanna watch some divx movies on my tv.

11. gotzero macrumors 68040

I just ordered one of those cables to go to my projector in addition to a monitor I would have only wanted a mirror for anyway. So much cheaper than a DVI KVM. Thanks for the post!