Mini-DVI to Displayport adapter?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Black Diesel, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Black Diesel macrumors member

I own a 2008 iMac 24" with a Mini-DVI port. I just bought an ASUS PA246Q 24" monitor to use with it. I was told to definitely connect the iMac to the displayport on the ASUS? I can't seem to find a Mini-DVI to Displayport adapter but I did find this Mini-DVI to DVI-D adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-DVI-DVI-D-Adapter-Cable-Apple/dp/B002TIU34Y/ref=pd_sim_e_4

Can someone provide a link to a Mini-DVI to Displayport adapter? Or, if it's okay to use the Mini-DV to DVI-D above let me know and I'll just buy that one.

Thanks

2. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Use the Mini-DVI to DVI-D adapter.

There is no such thing as a (Mini-)DVI-to-HDMI or (Mini-)DVI-to-DisplayPort -- there's only the opposite (HDMI-to-DVI or DisplayPort-to-DVI). This is not only because HDMI and DisplayPort can carry higher resolutions, but also audio and support HDCP.

3. djc6 macrumors 6502

4. Desert_dweller5 macrumors newbie

Desert_dweller5

Actually, there is now. I don't know about when this quote was written but there's Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter from StarTech.com Model MDVIHDMIMF
    Current as of this writing. if you are reading this in the future it may be different or missing. I can't control that.
    If it's gone, just keep searching.