Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

showtime

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I just recently got a external monitor for my macbook and now I'm looking around for an adapter. I found a seller on ebay but in the description it does not mention whether or not it would work for a macbook. Just for a powerbook.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Mini-DVI-to...0QQihZ013QQcategoryZ48680QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-DVI-to-DVI...4QQihZ014QQcategoryZ80066QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also does anybody have any experience from them? Are these exactly as I would find them at the apple store or are they third party?

Thanks

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
the adapters in your links looks like the ones apple sells so i guess they should work just fine.

hidehide

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
This look the same as the original apple one..
However, look at their location. Its from Hong Kong. Im from Hong Kong.
I know how they cheat people with third-party parts. They have third-party parts that looks similar to the original one and cheat people on that..

Im not sure about this one, they might not be cheating this time..
it looks exactly the same as the original. But the original adaptor from apple doesnt cost you alot.. Why take the risk and waste your time waiting for it to ship from Asia??

showtime

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I searched through the feedback and found a couple of people saying it will work with a macbook. I guess the only thing now would be if it's oem since it is from hong kong. I would buy from the apple store but if this is oem then it's half the price that apple charges. Anybody purchase theirs from hong kong?

operator

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Canada
I'm with hidehide. Why dont' you just buy from Apple? I bought one last week --- I think it cost about $25.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
I have a MacBook and I am using the mini-DVI to DVI adapter that came with my 12" PowerBook with no problems. So anything that works with a PowerBook should work with your MacBook as well.

The mini-DVI to DVI adapter in the links you posted look exactly like my Apple mini-DVI to DVI adapter, but if you have any concerns Apple sells their mini-DVI to DVI adapter for only $19.

The only drawback to the Apple mini-DVI to DVI adapter that it is only about 6" in length. I realize it is a mini-DVI to DVI "adapter" and not a mini-DVI to DVI adapter "cable", but it would be nice if it were just a little longer.

showtime

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2007
Thanks for the responses. I have a little apple section in my store so I'll check that out. Also do you guys really have trouble with the adapter length? Isn't the cable from your monitor usually long enough?

hidehide

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
where do you go to school to have a university apple store?

UCLA :)
Most university in US has discount..

Showtime, there is no problem with the length, since the cable that comes with the monitor is long enough :)

showtime

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I'm also at UCLA. I didn't know we had the adapters at the ucla store too. Thanks hidehide.

nownot

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
tx
dont mean to hijack thread. yes we have a store on campus dont think it sells apple stuff though which is weird b/c it is a art and music school. oh well .....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.