mini-dvi to DVI adapter question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gaelan, Jun 21, 2007.

1. gaelan macrumors regular

Got the new iMac. Been setting it up and playing around, then I remember that I had ordered an adapter cable to extend my desktop with my LCD. I dig around in the pile of stuff that has been flowing in over the last week and a half, and I find the adapter.

Let's just say that Apple chose their words carefully when naming this one, because if they would have used the word cable in the title, I'd be suing for false advertisement.

Why the f$%& is this thing so small? There is no way it will reach to my other monitor. What is the fix for this Cupertino engineered ***** in a bag? Did I buy the wrong item from the Apple store, or is it designed to make me purchase something else like an extension cord for DVI?

2. pengu macrumors 6502a

I assume it's like the DVI-VGA adapter they supply? very short cable, about 2-3 inches long?

why would you want it to be longer? LCD monitors generally come with a DVI cable several feet long.

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

It is an adapter. It doesn't plug into the monitor, it adapts the mini-DVI port to a full-size DVI port. You then plug the DVI cable that is connected to your monitor into the DVI port on the adapter. Pretty simple.