Mini DVI to DVI-D

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macwannabe77, Apr 25, 2008.

1. macwannabe77 macrumors member

macwannabe77

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes, the Mini-DVI to DVI adapter converts the Mini-DVI signal to DVI-I which supports both DVI-A and DVI-D. Any DVI-D monitor should work.

TEG

4. macwannabe77 thread starter macrumors member

macwannabe77

One more question...

Thank You for the quick responses, I thought it would but I wanted to make sure before i bought the monitor...

The monitor also has a VGA port, am I correct that I will get a better picture by using the DVI port instead?

Sorry I am not that knowledgeable on the difference between the two, I have read that the DVI is better, but I would like to know if it a significant difference.

Thank you again!

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

DVI gives a better picture, because it has limited signal errors.

VGA is analog and can suffer from crosstalk and fuzziness at higher resolutions, DVI is (usually) digital and has a correction signal. At higher resolution (above 1024x768) DVI is vastly superior.

TEG

6. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

That's wrong. It only does convert it to DVI-D and not DVI-I!

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DVI

I have one of those myself lying around on a shelf at home because I can't use it at the moment. My current 19 inch monitor is DVI-I only.

The Apple adapter package even shows DVI-I on a picture of the backside (as also mentioned on wikipedia), I just checked it, but the adapter really is just DVI-D. I bought my adapter a bit more than one month ago, so unless they changed anything (the adapter or the wrong picture of the package) it's wrong advertising in my sight. But screw it, it was just 20 bucks right?

I didn't research enough and bought an adapter with my Macbook but can't use it until I buy a new DVI-D monitor. Or I could buy the VGA adapter what I might do. But than I wasted the money on the DVI adapter because Apple didn't mention ANYWHERE that it's just DVI-D.

For the Thread starter: yes it will work with DVI-D

7. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

FWIW, the DVI-D connector has a just solid connection bar on one end, where a DVI-I connector will also have two pins on either side of the bar. Check out the connector pin-out diagrams from this Wikipedia link (in the Connections section, halfway down the page):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

I don't know about the Best Buy "house brand" Dynex mini-dvi connector but I know the one Apple sent me (gratis :)) is DVI-D only -- which is fine in my case because the Dell monitor I'm currently using is also either DVI-D only or VGA. :shrug:

Also, be aware that any DVI-I cable you may have laying around won't work with a DVI-D socket including the one on the Apple mini-DVI. (Oddly enough, my local Apple store doesn't stock DVI-D cables but a discount computer parts store down the road had them for $14/each while Best Buy sells essentially the same thing for $48.)

8. mikenike192 macrumors regular

9. macwannabe77 thread starter macrumors member

macwannabe77

I ended up getting the Apple adapter, best buy was out of the generic brand, and i got a DVI cable from best buy for $17 bucks for 6 feet. It was one of those returned opened boxes that was reduced a few bucks.

** i ended up getting the LG. LOVE IT! its a big improvement from writing papers on a 13 inch screen! It was on sale when i got it, i got it for about $190 not what its showing now at $229. Circuit City has the same monitor for ~$270. I even got my PC hooked up to it as well. just a press of hte source button to switch!

10. mikenike192 macrumors regular

congratulations on the new purchase $190 is a good deal