Mini-DVI to DVI-I?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eidorian, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The DVI to VGA adapter never ended up working in the end. It detected that there was a monitor but it never displayed anything.

It was promptly returned to Best Buy. ;)

3. t-money macrumors newbie

I had the same experience. The MB detects the VGA display, but the monitor never receives any signal. I did keep mine for attaching MB to TV with a DVI-HDMI cable. The Best Buy adapter works fine for that.

I also bought the Apple Mini-DVI to VGA adapter. It does work fine with the same VGA monitor. However, the VGA connection maxes out at 1600x1200@60hz.

4. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Ouch!

I was hoping for full VGA at 2048 x 1536.

5. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

This is weird. Does anyone have an explanation?

6. t-money macrumors newbie

FWIW, higher VGA resolutions are available under Bootcamp/XP. I was able to go up to 2048x1536@60Hz and 1600x1200@85Hz. These were all with a 19" Viewsonic CRT.

The Dynex DVI-I with a VGA adapter doesn't work at all in Bootcamp.

7. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Isn't mini-DVI to DVI just a pin-remapping? Or is there actually some logic in there?

8. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Thanks for the extra detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DVI

9. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Right, so as I speculated, it's just a pin-remapping. Thus it makes no sense to me why this wouldn't work. If the Dynex connector is simply remapping the pins, there shouldn't be any difference going from mini-DVI to DVI, then DVI to VGA...

10. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Ohhhhhh wait I bet I know what's happening. The Dynex mini DVI -> DVI connector likely drops the analog pins and only bothers remapping the digital ones. It probably assumes the destination signal will be DVI and thus there is no point in transmitting the RGB and other necessary signals for analog VGA.

11. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

*face palm*

It makes sense now.

12. lizinthesky macrumors newbie

13. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Absolutely. See, the mini-DVI to VGA cable likely transports only the signals needed for the VGA signal. If you can find a generic mini-DVI to DVI adaptor that doesn't drop any of the signals, that would work for both straight DVI as well as for analog by adding a DVI-to-VGA adapter on the end of that.

Best recommendation is to just eat the cost of buying a mini-DVI-to-VGA adapter to get the job done.

14. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I already have the Mini-DVI to VGA since I know a lot of people that forget their's.

I was just looking into another solution to MiniDVI to DVI. It looks like the Dynex one isn't much better then Apple's. :rolleyes:

15. jbstew32 macrumors regular

no a side note, why are these cables that probably cost less than $1 to make being sold for such a ridiculous price?

16. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Ever heard of Monster cables? They can get away with it so they do it.

17. jbstew32 macrumors regular

yeah, but there are many alternatives to using Monster cables at a fraction of the cost. It seems like Apple/Dynex are just gouging customers because there's no real competition.

Did Apple create Mini-DVI and do they control the rights to who can make the cables?

18. TheStu macrumors 65816

Look at USB cables... they are what, 2 pieces of plastic, 4-5 wires (can't remember which) maybe some woven metal for shielding, if not then just aluminum foil, and all of that sheathed in more plastic... pennies to make, sold for $20 at stores... incredible.

I don't know if Apple created the MiniDVI port, or just uses it, but frankly I like it. 1 port to control my VGA, DVI, SVideo, and Composite video signals, great space saver, and I seldom want to use more than 2 monitors on my MacBook anyway (internal and external)

19. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I do remember a Sony subnotebook that used Mini-VGA.

It used Micro DIMM as well. :rolleyes:

20. dziewuliz macrumors member

Ok, I don't quite get it... You bought a mini-dvi to DVI-I adapter, but it won't let you add a DVI to VGA adapter? Like this one:
    [​IMG]
    Cuz I've been looking for the DVI-I for ages already.. :(

21. krimb1 macrumors newbie

Yup, that's right. It won't let you add a DVI to VGA adapter.

The adapter you took a picture of, although looks like it is transmitting DVI-I, is actually dropping the non-analog pins. It's just as bad as Apple's.

Well...maybe not: the only advantage to having a female DVI-I side, is that if, say, your trying to connect your Mac to HDMI, then with your adapter you could still use a DVI-I to HDMI cable whereas Apple's adapter will flat out reject it (they filled in the analog holes). ;)

That is, as you can see here:

[​IMG]

It's worth noting that with Apple's adapter one can connect a DVI-I to HDMI cable granted one has a DVI-D male to DVI-D female adapter, as mentioned above. But that's yet another adapter... :)

Hope that helps!

22. Luci3n macrumors newbie

This is incredibly frustrating. I've bought both the Apple and the Dynex mini-to-DVI adapter.

Does ANYONE make an adapter that is true DVD-I? I have both a DVI and a VGA source that I need to connect to.

23. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

What the hell no that guy is wrong.

I can output 1680x1050 no problemo.

24. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1680 x 1050 (1,764,000 pixels) is still less than 1600 x 1200 (1,920,000 pixels).