Mini DVI to VGA adaptor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by janejane, Nov 3, 2010.

1. janejane macrumors newbie

Hi.

I realise this is probably completely obvious but I would be so grateful if someone could help me.

i want to connect my macbook to a VGA screen, I have the macbook, I have the screen, I even have the adaptor (it's the one which came with the Macbook).

The thing I really don't understand is why this adaptor cable is only about 3 inches long. I can't even find one which is longer. Surely I am not the only person who has encountered a problem with this - the VGA socket on the monitor I have is more than 3 inches up from the base so I literally cannot use this cable without half-lying the monitor down. Clearly this is ridiculous and not how it was intended to be, but how do people make this work?!

As I say, Irealise this probably sounds stupid, but I am completely baffled by the total absurdity of it as well.

Many many thanks in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That is due to the fact, that most monitors already have its own VGA or DVI cables to connect to a PC, thus the adapter is not that long.

If you don't have such a VGA cable on your monitor, you need to buy one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's only a few inches long because it's not a cable, it's an adaptor. It still requires that a VGA cable be attached to it. It cannot connect directly to a monitor input on it's own.

The previous poster explained the reasons for that quite well.

jW