Mini-DVI to VGA done

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tom vilsack, Feb 9, 2012.

1. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Just got my Mini-DVI to VGA from local apple store today and hooked it up to my newish (got about 2-3 weeks ago) powerbook G4 1.5GHz...works great!

almost done,just need to upgrade sodimm from 256 to 1 gig and clean up wire mess...(and possible future ssd)

project so far:
    -powerbook G4 1.5GHz,512 ram,80 gig hd (40 for tiger 40 for leopard..of which had both dvd's),airport,superdrive $50
    -samsung 740n running at native 1280x1024 60 Hz $20
    -Mini-DVI $28

[​IMG]

2. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Well the heck done!

Damn nice setup and well the hell done on a budget! I still miss my G4/500 Ti book that had a case the should have fell apart years ago. I miss my DA/dual 533. Along with my G5/ dual 1.8. Granted this i5 mini is damn nice, but I am already searching ways to get Snow Leopoard on it.

Lion is simply UGH to me. There are things I like to be sure, but too many that I miss.

~Drake

3. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Awsome set-up man! Hope it works awesome for you!

Have you tried Screen Spanning with your PowerBook as well? :)

4. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Awesome! Very tempted to do something like this with my 12" PowerBook... How nice do you find the resolution on the monitor compared to the 10x7 on the PowerBook? Once again, awesome. :D

PS. And how the hell did you get that monitor for $20?!!

5. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Craigslist can often have some insane values (assuming that's where the Powerbook and monitor came from). I found a nice LCD monitor for my brother last week for $25.

BTW, just a reminder, Monoprice.com sells Apple compatible cables for dirt cheap by comparison. I'm not sure if they ship internationally (They're in the U.S.), but I've ordered mini-DVI to HDMI cables from them a couple of times and have been happy (plus a ton of HDMI cables for around the house over the years). But the mini-DVI to VGA cable Tom paid $28 for at the Apple Store is around $5-6 bucks at Monoprice.

6. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

if using clamshell mode i can use the monitors native res of 1280x1024 60 Hz (i don't have the greatest of eyes so monitor really helps)...yes i bought everything on craigs,here in vanc we have a very health computer section so can always offer low amounts...

ya i know i payed way to much for adaptor,but was at mac store yesterday and i broke down ;-)...least i didn't walk out with a new air...

7. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I've been there, when I'm too impatient to wait for one to be shipped or just didn't plan ahead. I hate spending the extra cash on that kind of stuff though when I haven't had any problems with Monoprice's cables I've bought. Do they even ship to Canada though?

8. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

checked there web site..yes they ship to cdn (51st state without a vote lol)

9. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Be careful with the lid closed. Some of the air intake is through the keyboard, it will cool a lot better with the lid open most likely. (These 12" get HOT as it is!)

10. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i can't get external monitor to default 1280x1024 unless i close lib (clamshell mode)...then once monitor will allow i open to allow for cooling (just had lid closed for pic)...but thxs for tip...

11. California macrumors 68040

California

I'll tell you a secret. On the 12" Powerbook 1.5ghz -- the one you have -- I was able to run my 30" ACD at a reduced res of course.

It also drove the 23" ACD very nicely.

64mb vram in that little machine.

----------

Good advice. I'd never run it closed, either.