Mini-DVI to VGA issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jwill21, Sep 18, 2009.

1. jwill21 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to have my display go to my 26" Vizio tv.

However, when everything is plugged in, the display isn't showing up on the TV.

Any Help?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Make sure you're MacBook is outputting a resolution that the Vizio is compatible with over a VGA connection.

You'll have to check your user manual to see about that. Also, make sure the MacBook is even detecting the TV to start with, by going System Preferences-->Display and click on "detect displays" if a 2nd one isn't already seen in that preference pane.

3. jwill21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried a few different resolutions, but nothing worked

4. jwill21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used my mini-DVI to VGA adapter along with my VGA cord to another monitor and everything worked... so since I now figure it's the TV.

Any suggestions?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I wonder if you're setting the TV to look for input on the specific plug? I apologize if it sounds simplistic, but some TVs have multiple inputs and you need to hit "source" (or some such) on the remote to switch to the other port.

6. jwill21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm having the TV look for the "Computer" input which is the VGA input, and nothing is showing up when it should

7. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Assuming that this is an HDTV, try setting to this exact resolution; 1280x768 60Hz. We have a 26" Orion HDTV that point blank refuses to accept any other resolution bar this one and 800x600 60Hz stretched.

Good luck, Wolf ∑:•p

8. jwill21 thread starter macrumors newbie