Mini-DVI to VGA -> Male or female?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Star Destroyer, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Okay so this might end up sounding odd, but to save some money i just plan of hooking up my macbook to my existing CRT monitor. The monitor has 1 VGA connection and nothing else, and the cord is built it, so it only has the one end to plug in, and this cord is a male connection.

My question is, if i buy an apple mini-DVI to VGA, i will be able to connect the mini -DVI end to my macbook, and the VGA end to this VGA connection on my monitor, so is the VGA end on the adaptor Male or Female?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's Mini-DVI to Female VGA.

So yes, it did sound odd and your old CRT will work. What made you think it wouldn't. :confused:

3. Star Destroyer thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you haha

I didn't know how to phrase that post honestly, but i was looking at pictures, i haven't seen the adapter in person and it looked like it had a male vga connection. I thought it was extremely odd to have that, so i thought i should ask.

Thank you very much

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I own both the Mini-VGA to VGA and Mini-DVI to VGA adapters and they both end in Female DB-15 VGA connectors. :p

5. Star Destroyer thread starter macrumors 6502

Is the quality decrease on VGA noticeable? I would just be doing internet, work and watching DVDs on my macbook but on the external larger screen..
    Would it be better to find something with DVI ? and go mini-DVI to DVI,

How much do DVI to DVI extension cables usually sell for so i could connect this to a monitor if i get one?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've noticed that DVI is a bit sharper then VGA on larger LCDs.

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

DVI only makes a difference in digital connections. Since CRTs are analog, a VGA connection will look sharp. LCDs, meanwhile, will look noticeably better with DVI.

irmongoose

8. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

just out of curiosity, how big is this CRT???

(just wondering, not that it makes a difference ;))