Mini dvi to VGA vs Mini to HDMI (White Macbook 2008)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andygabriel, Jul 14, 2009.

1. andygabriel macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I want to connect my white macbook(2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB HD) to my plasma TV. I would like to know which cable will be better. I'm kinda worried about the quality of the mini dvi to VGA. I have both VGA and HDMI port on the TV.

Can anynone tell me which one will output better quality images to watch on my TV ( DVD, HD movies online & YouTube and pictures)

P.S I've checked the cables @ the apple store and they are very short. How do i extend the cable?

Thx

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

3. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

HDMI is the best one available at the moment. Those are just adapters so you'll need a HDMI cable as well

5. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

thx guys i got a mini dvi to dvi and a dvi to hdmi looks great. Only problem is when i choose overscan i cant see the dock and the menu bar. Is that a bug in mac os x ?

but the quality is amazin Im now looking for websites to download free hd movies. anyone knows where i can go . I cant wait to watch some HD movies

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can't get them legally. Apple has trailers on their site. Torrents are against rules here so I can't help you :(

7. AAHK macrumors newbie

Hey

Just wanted to know how you all got on (especially andygabriel)?

I have a unibody macbook pro and a samsung lcd tv with the option of VGA or HDMI input....and wondering which one to use to connect my macbook pro. I want to use it as a monitor for my macbook pro 13 while I'm at home (with a bluetooth keyboard etc).

Which option is better - VGA or HDMI?
    I'm only interested in visual quality. Audio doesn't matter as I will also be connecting the macbook to my Rotel amp for sound.

There seems to be mixed responses around different forums. Alot of people who use HDMI moan about cropping etc...

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

8. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

For me HDMI works great. Ive had this set up for a while now and i have no probs.

I use my set up for audio visual only. I dont have a DVD player. I like watching movies online and when my friends come over we browse itunes on the tv usin cover flow. They think its cool.
    I have a mighty mouse and an apple wireless keyboard.

But overscan is the prob. I dunno if they fixed it in SL coz i still have Leopard.

So i'd advise to go for HDMI.

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Overscan is a TV issue, not the OS. There's no one size fits all solution to it that Apple can provide. I've heard good things about DisplayConfigX, but it can be a pain to configure. With it, you create your own custom resolution settings.

Boxee has a nice way to compensate for overscan (it allows you to resize the viewable portion of the screen). I wish Apple would implement something similar, but it would have to be per individual TV.

10. mailliw macrumors member

Sorry to jump in on this thread. Just a quick question. I have a unibody Pro, bought in June this year, which doesn't have optical out. If I got a mini-dvi to HDMI cable, would that output audio as well as video? Desperately need to hook it up to my amp and relisten to my music on some decent speakers!

Thanks all for any advice,

Will

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Nope. You need another cable for audio. I think it has normal 3.5mm stereo plug like this:

[​IMG]

12. mailliw macrumors member

Cheers. Ordered this instead - USB to toslink. No nasty analog audio then.

Ta.

Will