Mini-DVI to Video Adapter

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Adammg, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Adammg macrumors newbie

I have a iMac that I want to hook up to my TV so I can watch NetFlix instant movies on my TV. Only way I can hook it up is with a mDVI to Video adapter but not sure what cables would be the best, my TV has Composite and S-Video inputs. The adapter only has 2 plugs, I am wondering how I can get sound from my Mac to the TV, Neither input on the adapter is going to carry sound that I am aware of. Can y'all give me some ideas on the best way to do this

Thanks,
    Adam

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

The video adapter has nothing to do with sound, so just forget about that for the moment.

Your TV has audio inputs, of course...like next to the yellow composite or s-video input there should be red/white stereo inputs, correct? So just get a 3.5mm (headphone/computer speaker-style plug) to RCA audio (red/white plugs) cable. They're a few bucks and can be found pretty much anywhere that sells A/V cables. Plug the 3.5mm end into your iMac, and the RCA plugs into the same input on your TV that you've got the video going into.

3. TWHH macrumors regular

Yes, but then how do you connect the Mini to your stereo to listen to music (stereo doesn't have a Optical In)?

Only way I can think to do it is get a 3.5 jack splitter and running one 3.5 to phono lead to my stereo and one to the TV.

Bit messy thought innit

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

?? When did the OP say anything about a Mac Mini or a stereo?

5. MacGnG macrumors member

MacGnG

i have the same thing except im using a black book. right now the rca video cable works great since i dont have svideo in on my tv. for the audio i'm using a headphones cable that splits to the rca (red/white) audio cable.

currently to get the audio cable long im using a headphones extension cord then use the splitter when it gets close to the tv. i'm going to have to get a video cable that is longer so i dont have to have the macbook so close to the tv. all these cables are pretty cheap. the adapter from apple was only 20 bucks and it works pretty good ;)