Mini eGPU considerations (TB3 out)

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I'd like to put together an eGPU for my Mini, but I can't work with anything but Thunderbolt 3 output. I know the device that Apple sells directly will do this, but I don't want to be locked into one particular card.

Is there another way to use an eGPU with TB3 out, aside from that BlackMagic device?

The logic here is that I have a monitor with Thunderbolt input (it's TB2 but I currently use an adapter).

Note that I do have a Thunderbolt 3 (and 2 for that matter) add-in card that I could use, but the dual slot setups don't seem to really be built for a GPU so people having to do a lot of modding.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Sure, there are tons. Check out this link.

Note that there are still no Nvidia drivers for Mojave, so you have to stick with AMD for now.

F-Train

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Sure, there are tons. Check out this link.
I could be wrong, but I think that @brentsg’s question is about the signal from the graphics card to the monitor.

There are still no AMD cards that come with TB 3 out.

As far as I know, the Black Magic enclosures are still the only ones that run Thunderbolt 3 from the enclosure/card to the monitor. Sapphire’s new enclosure, for example, doesn’t do this.

As noted in the first post, there are modifications that people talk about, but I don’t know what’s involved or how successful it is. Some of the people at egpu.io may know.

I also wonder whether a Black Magic would work if the connections are enclosure/card TB 3 port > TB 3 to TB 2 adapter > monitor TB 2 port.

Last edited:
Reactions: rmdeluca

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
That's correct. There would need to be some way to jumper DisplayPort to any extra TB3 ports on the enclosure.

I also wondered what would happen with the TB3 to TB2 adapter but if I can't clear hurdle one then the next one doesn't matter.

Reactions: F-Train

Jellyenzo

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2018
As far as Im concerned, it’s kinda meh. Granted my circumstances are somewhat extra-ordinary.

I have an akitio node pro with an RX 480 full size graphics card inside and attached to a dell 38 inch widescreen for work. Its actually well priced for the eGPU (its only sold as enclosure).

Dont plan on playing any games unless you bootcamp (just buy a console or PC if you do). I tinkled with fortnite, star craft 2 and d3 and got less than 20fps on each respective game.

It’s alot of pixels to push for a 38 inch in an otherwise unfriendly gamer environment, but as a work horse; video editing and photoshop/illustrator are decently usable and the screen real estate is smooth. Its arguable I could use the 38 inch even without the eGPU as an addon..

Id recommend the akitio node pro as it has a carry on latch. Kinda like a briefcase. Good price and if I don’t connect the TB3 to my mac mini; I could connect it to my mbp.

Otherwise if I shelled out the money; the rezer core 2 looks sick.
[doublepost=1550912417][/doublepost]
That's correct. There would need to be some way to jumper DisplayPort to any extra TB3 ports on the enclosure.

I also wondered what would happen with the TB3 to TB2 adapter but if I can't clear hurdle one then the next one doesn't matter.
TB3 to TB2 doesnt really seem worth. The adapter cable alone is over $40..