Mini for Dad: now, or later [after May 15?]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mooncaine, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. mooncaine macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    #1
    Retired Dad, already a happy switcher since 2004, has Mac Mini but wants another for Mom and the grandkids [who live with their grandparents]. He'd like to buy a new Mini for himself and pass the current one to Mom and the kids.

    Uses: email, iPhoto, burning photo CDs, iTunes and iTMS, burning audio CDs, web browsing [being an old sailor, he and his online buddies like to hit some, umm, naughty sites that tend to turn Windows PCs into mush, judging from his past PC]. No video editing or even DVD encoding foreseen. The kids will need something like MS Office, but we've already got that.

    Should we wait to buy Dad's new mini til some expected announcement or other in May?

    I am seeing lots of rumor and hopes that Apple will announce something in early May. Does anyone have a firm date for any events to watch in May that Apple might use to announce? Or do we basically look for Tuesdays in May?
     
  2. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

    Cult Follower

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2007
    Location:
    North Dakota
    #2
    Pretty much look for tuesdays, but I would wait.
     
  3. marvinsum macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2007
    #3
    The Mac mini is long overdue for an upgrade to the Core 2 Duo processors. It would be best to wait for it, unless you really need it. In that case you should buy it straight away.
     
  4. sinstoic macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2007
    #4
    I don't see anything till May 15th. If you wait you'll have to wait till WWDC 2007. If there are no new hardware during WWDC, the next release could be either during Leopard Launch (possibly in October) or during Macworld 2008.
     
  5. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

    irishgrizzly

    Joined:
    May 15, 2006
    #5
    Or it could be released on Monday, with no fanfare at all. With so many chipsets coming out of intel, Apple don't need a big event to launch them.
     
  6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

    Father Jack

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    Ireland
    #6
    Yes, an upgrade for the Mini is overdue ....... but it still could be 6 months away :confused:

    We have two Mac Books here. One is CD and the other is C2D and to be honest there isn't a great difference between them. OK we don't edit video on either, perhaps if we did the difference would be more noticeable.

    FJ
     
  7. smythey macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2007
    Location:
    Scotland
    #7
    Im in exactly the same boat - Mini for the folks.
    Advised them to hold off until update/leopard, but now that Leopard has been pushed back to "the season formally known as Spring", Im waiting for that update.
    Most folks here acknowledge its well overdue, more so than any other of the macs - arent Apple itching to say all their computers are 64-bit?!!
    I reckon the update will come at the latest WWDC, but probably before that. I really doubt they would wait until Leopard.

    When it comes, Im hoping for C2D, slight speed bumps, "n" wireless, hard drive bumps, and HDMI.

    Let it be soon.... - hey, theres always a Tuesday round the corner...:)
     

Share This Page