Mini HD/RAM upgrade tutorials needed!

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by lamerica80, Mar 12, 2009.

1. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Hello people, im looking for good tutorials for changing the HD and RAM on the new 09 Minis. Pls post links here if you have any good ones!

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The title says that you are offering us how to upgrade 'em. Please change it to Mini HD/RAM upgrade help? for example.

Edit -> Advanced

3. nerdish macrumors regular

Search YouTube, there are TONS of video tutorials....

4. nickcliborne macrumors regular

Like nerdish said the tutorials online for the old mini will work for you.

Yes you really can use a putty knife to open the mini up.

5. lamerica80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Are you sure? I believe the dvd-drive is different, plus there are more antennas, sensors and s**t in the new one..

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

7. lamerica80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

OMG that just took forum besserwissing to a totally new level :)

I know how to use google and as you, if you can read, can see the results from that google search isnt exactly staggering. Im sure a lot of people have a good tutorial in their favourite and im asking them to share, thats all.

8. Keleko macrumors 68000

Here's a complete teardown of the new Mini. It looks like you follow down to Step 10 where the RAM is exposed. Step 14 details removing the RAM. You can skip to it if you're just going to replace the RAM and then put it all back together.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/Mac-Mini-A1283/659/1

9. SydneyDev macrumors 6502

10. lamerica80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Ok thanks guys! Ill give it a try, but not before ive run down to the local apple retailer and asked how much for a hd/ram change. If its cheap enough i might concider handing the task over to a professional..ill still save $$$ and get 500GB in my unit.

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I've taken apart several Mac Minis now (previous generations), its really not that scary. The only nerve racking bit is prising the case open, particularly because it takes more force than you realise (or more force than you'd usually be prepared to exert on a brand new piece of hardware).

Tip though: If after putting it all back together you notice that the fans are suddenly really loud then you'll need to open it up and reconnect the little wire at the front of the unit (you disconnect it when taking the top half of the innards off to get to the hard drive or RAM). I can't tell you the number of times I've done this and had to open it up again!!

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You made me have to do a Google search on besserwissing :) That was a new one on me

13. lamerica80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Hehe I turned besserwisser into a verb. Im just crazy that way.

14. lamerica80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

I just came back from my local apple retailer, they will replace the hard drive and RAM for me (i bring my own HD n ram) for 130 USD... Ripoff? It sounded almost negotiable they way he said "around 130"..maybe i can talk it down to 100. Or do it myself. Hm.

15. nyprospect macrumors 6502

16. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Just do it yourself, its really easy to do! all you need is a putty knife and a little screwdriver! Don't spend $100 getting someone to do it for you, its not worth it. Just follow the iFixit Guide. If when you put it back together you notice the fans are on full constantly then you've probably forgotten to reconnect the little cable at the front of the unit and will need to take the top off and reconnect it (simple mistake to make when putting it back together).

17. lamerica80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Ok Spanky ill do that! Now i just have to wait for the 500GB 7200 drives to become avaible. Thought i might just as well max it out if im upgrading anyway.

18. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

macsales.com says they will have them in 16 days, but they charge $20 more than newegg.

19. beatmonkeytwo macrumors regular

I will be doing the Hard Drive and ram upgrade when the new bits get delivered. :D

I was thinking though... if you carry out the upgrades yourself, and everything goes fine, but 8 months down the line with the mini still under warranty it suddenly develops a fault. If it is nothing to do with the memory or Hard Drive, could they turn still round and say it's void as you took it apart, or is there no way of them knowing you did the upgrades yourself? :confused: