Mini+Illuminated Keyboard+LCDTV for 85YO Dad (please help?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by olindacat, Aug 16, 2011.

1. olindacat macrumors member

olindacat

My dad is 85 and needs a major upgrade. I have him on a 24" iMac and it isn't big enough and he hates the keyboard because he's old school and likes mechanicals. So, I'm looking at:

- Mac Mini (i5) base (I'll bump up RAM myself)
    - LCD TV mounted on wall to give him desk space. Thinking 40"-46". (Could use advice on models as I understand 60Hz is all I need, right?)
    - Illuminated mechanical keyboard (HELP!!!) I've only seen like Razor gaming keyboards and some from Logitech. I want to get him a really nice one that isn't too far away from a normal keyboard and am concerned about a gaming board confusing him.

Advice most appreciated. Thanks.

2. GregPQ macrumors regular

GregPQ

Sorry to see no replies here yet, because I'm very interested in this, too. My 85-yr old father-in-law is considering an upgrade from an older XP machine with a dark, tired KB he has trouble seeing.

My wife and I want to put him in a 27" iMac but I'm not thrilled with any of the Apple keyboards I've seen.

I'd be very interested in a good third-party high contrast high-visibility keyboard, ideally a Mac KB although I guess a Windows one would do.

Hope to see some responses!

Thanks,
    Greg

3. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I'd go with a Samsung LED/LCD and a Logitech illuminated keyboard. Should provide a great picture with being able to see the keys easily.

(Amazon) Logitech keyboard

4. GregPQ macrumors regular

GregPQ

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping for something uglier than the Logitech, though--high-visibility, maybe even yellow keys, and preferably a native Apple keyboard.

I guess it would depend on *how bright* the Logitech KB gets, in the end, though.

Greg