Mini.imac choice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by graley, Feb 5, 2015.

1. graley macrumors regular

I have a seven year old Apple display that works well. No camera.
    Driven by an ancient MacPro. Six years old. And beginning to go slow with a Yosemite.

I am trying to decide if I should replace this set up with a macmini,
    Or an IMac. And sell the display. The new IMac displays are fantastic.
    Any ideas welcome.

2. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

Well they are different machines with different price points. Depends on budget and what you are looking at. I'm assuming you are targeting a 21.5'' iMac since those are more comparable to the Mini.

So you have a 2008-2009 Mac Pro? That system could be upgraded by you quite substantially if you are so inclined. Depending on what you use your computer for, a cheap RAM upgrade and a clean install of the OS could bring your system back up to usable status

$1300 21.5'' iMac will give you a quad-core CPU, 8 GB RAM, and Iris Pro GPU. Pretty rocking system with the only real "flaw" being a slower 5400 RPM HDD. 1 TB storage though which is nice.

If you're targeting the base iMac with the 1.4 Ghz i5 I would recommend instead that you go with the 2.8 Ghz Mac Mini @ $999. With that you get a better Iris GPU, a better CPU, and the fusion drive which will give you great load times.

For me I would get the Mini but I don't like all-in-ones. If you like the look of the iMac you are targeting go for it. And if you're looking at the 27'' iMacs...well they completely smoke the Mini

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

An SSD will breath a large breath of life into any machine.. Especially if you have an otherwise fine Mac Pro. Depending on the amount of RAM, that may also be an advisable upgrade.

4. graley thread starter macrumors regular

Macmini/imac

Many thanks. I think I will go for the macmini and keep the 22.5 inch apple display, and forgo the camera. Also, the lady next door said the macmini has a Hdmi port so can connect to TV with wireless stuff. Must check Apple. (My wife is sometimes quite ill) It's hard to explain all the circumstances on these forums but I appreciate the tech input.