mini / imac now or wait for new imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DaveC671, Aug 30, 2009.

  1. DaveC671 macrumors newbie

    Jul 9, 2008
    Long time lurker first time post. I have been away from mac for many years. Work is all Dell pc and wife has only ever used pc. I finally have the wife convinced to transition to a mac in no small thanks to her love of her Iphone.

    We have two PC's at home. Her current pc is a dell that we have had for 2 or 3 years. It is having a lot of problems with it especially the last month or so. Wife does 99% of her computer time surfing internet, editing and posting pictures and spending time on social networking sites. She doesn't play games or anything that requires a lot of computing power.

    I looked at the buyers recommendations and still haven't made a decision.

    1) I can fix her pc by changing some minor hardware issues, reformat and install windows clean. The cost other than my time would be minimal. This would get her pc working another 6 months or so and then upgrade. That would allow her to get an updated imac.

    2) I can get a mac mini now, use her current 20 inch dell screen and transition her into a mac. Then 2010 I could get her an imac and set the mini up along my pc and bounce back and forth.

    3) I can get an imac now knowing they will probably upgrade the first of the year or so (rough guess based on the "buzz").

    I would probably fix her pc either way and sell it locally to offset some of the cost. I have an extra dell flat screen monitor to put with computer if we go mac mini option.

    Any thoughts on best course of action would be appreciated.

  2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000


    May 22, 2009
    Do #1 to save money. Personally, I would get a Mac Mini now and pair it up with the Dell monitor, keyboard and mouse.
  3. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    Throw the Dell away and get her a Mini, she deserves the best.
  4. rgarjr macrumors 603


    Apr 2, 2009
    Southern California
  5. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

    Nov 28, 2008
    exactly. +1
  6. Decrepit macrumors 65816


    Sep 6, 2007
    Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
    I'll chime in and check one thing first.

    Look at everything she uses the Dell for and ensure there aren't programs that she'll miss. I mean all the way down to freecell and the like.

    I put a Mini at my mom's place, and she liked it. But her friends had mahjongg games and such that weren't for the Mac, and wouldn't work in VMware Fusion, so I replaced it with a PC last weekend.

    I love the Mini as you can see by my sig, the new one is incredible. If she can move over with minimal pain, then by all means. I can't imagine what waiting for an upgrade would get you this time around so I'd say go for it.

    Something else to consider, is IF there are programs she'll miss, but only use once in a while you could set up the old Dell somewhere on your network and she could use Remote Desktop to connect to it for those few times she needs it.

    Just a thought.
  7. yoppie macrumors 6502a

    Oct 19, 2007
    I agree with everyone up top. Go with number two so that she can experience OS X now while saving you the regret of not having waited on a new iMac.

Share This Page