Mini, iMac, or MB Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TWO2SEVEN, Sep 29, 2012.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I will be making the permanent move from PC to Mac in the next few months.
    I know the desktops are (allegedly) due for an update soon, so I will keep that in mind as well.

I will be using the computer for school (word processing, PowerPoint), web browsing, and iTunes.

I already have a Magic Mouse, keyboard, and monitor. However, if I go with the Mini I will want to get a better monitor.

My question is mostly about the processors. I would be getting the base model of each except for the mini. Any advice on which would be best would be great.

Thanks!

2. warehouse40 macrumors member

What do you have now PC wise? Depending on your portable needs, I would go with Mac Mini and MacBook Air.

If that breaks your budget I would say go for a MacBook pro and you can hook it up to your monitor and use it like a desktop, if that's how you do most of your computing, but you'll still have portability if you need it.

3. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Right now I have an HP laptop that never leaves my desk. My iPad takes care of any portability needs.

Thanks for the reply!

----------

I do enjoy having dual screens, but I guess that is possible with either option.

4. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Higher-end Mac mini (if you can spring for the 256GB SSD and the 750GB HDD, I say go for it, because it's not the easiest procedure to do to add those in later; same with the i7 over the i5), buy the 8GB RAM upgrade aftermarket from a place like Crucial.

I recommend this over the Mac Pro because (a) the Mac Pro is overdue for an upgrade and (b) it sounds like it's overkill for your needs. I recommend this over the iMac because, while the iMac is a faster machine, it's a worse designed machine, packing way too many heat generating components in a thinner-than-needed enclosure resulting in the single most failure prone computer in all of Apple's line-up. It's also form outweighing function, which a good computer does not make.

5. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

my main machine is a mac mini server (with the server turned off) it got the i7 2ghz 4 core chip , but the downside is the graphics card. I run the 2 drives at Raid 0 to make one faster drive, and run 2 monitors off it.

I use it for logic , reason ,cubase , FCP7 & photoshop with no complaints.

if you need better graphics get the 2,7ghz i7, AMD Radeon HD 6630M