Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msa6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Just replaced with Win machine in the kitchen office with a Mini...and it's great!

But is there any shot at connecting the kitchen based Mini to the living room TV? The Mini has easy access to a LAN and a coax jack, both of which could conceivably get to the LR TV, though the coax jack is open at both ends, while the LAN jack is "busy" at the TV.

Thanks.

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I don't think that is possible at all
you need to hook it up from the dvi port

msa6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Is there some "box" (perhaps at Radio Shack?) that will convert the DVI from the mini to a coax that I could then send along the house wiring to the TV?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
Is there some "box" that will convert the DVI from the mini to a coax that I could then send along the house wiring to the TV?

apple has a dvi to video adapter HERE, but the problem is as noted before, the mini only has one output. you could work around that if you wanted to replace you current kitchen monitor with a small lcd tv that could also accept the composite signal. problem is that most of them have crap image quality when used as a monitor.

easy/cheap to split a composite signal, but you might need an amp/booster to push all the way to the other room (depends on feet of cable involved). also, no idea what kind of tv, so no idea on final image quality. it can be done, but will it be worth it is the question! might be easier to get a second mini for cheap to use. best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.