Mini iPad wifi very unreliable

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by p4594spa, Aug 21, 2014.

1. p4594spa macrumors newbie

Household full of different devices including iPhones, iPads, and one mini iPad, as well as PCs. I have to turn off wifi, turn back on, select house wifi, renew wifi lease every half an hour or so to keep wifi actually operating.

There is a wifi repeated within 10 feet of where is use this mini-iPad. No other device exhibits this behavior

2. rigormortis, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

back up to iTunes
    restore from iTunes

if wifi does not improve, go to genius bar and have iPad replaced.

renewing wifi lease every 30 minutes probably indicates a problem with rekeying. wpa 1 (draft) and wpa 2 ( standard) automagically rekey or re-encrypt the network traffic every 30 minutes or every 60 minutes, depending on the routers settings.

when the router rekeys the stream , apparently something with the iPad doesn't receive the new key so you lose connectivity

does this 30 minute problem occur on unencrypted networks as well?

maybe the wifi module is over heating

there is not much else to trouble shoot if one iPad is fine and one iPad is bad

what is "wifi repeated" did you type "wifi repeater" ?

there is NO STANDARD WHAT SO EVER or OPERABILITY TESTING for wifi repeaters or what they call WDS.

WDS is a technology like "x2" and "v.fast" it is not a standard like "802.11"

when using wifi repeaters it is recommended that you use the same brand for the router and the extender/booster. a better thing to do is to use an extra router.

the wifi organization does not test or certify anything related to WDS, repeaters or boosters.

i believe it clearly says so somewhere on wi-fi.org

i think "mesh" is an actual standard. but i don't know if they sell consumer "mesh" boxes

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

But WDS remains a technology, not a standard and WDS isn't tested as part of Wi-Fi Certification. As a result, manufacturers typically include weasel-words somewhere in their product documentation that say that bridging and repeating features will work only with their own products. And even if you don't find WDS interoperability disclaim

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...ut-wireless-bridging-and-repeating-part-1-wds

4. p4594spa thread starter macrumors newbie

Wifi bad

I never use this mini-iPad except in a encrytped in environment. 95% of time in the home, 5% at my Dad's. I am suspcious of the router re-keying causing the problem

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

well if you have to reconnect to the wifi network every 30 minutes like clockwork
    it is most 100 % definitely a problem with your wifi router or the iPad mini not sending or receiving new keys. if this 30 minute problem like clock work also affects the iPad at your dads house, then most likely the iPad is defective and the genius should replace it

if its not the iPad then its your wifi repeater.

every single wpa2 secure network rekeys. the rekeying interval can be set as low as 5 minutes or 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or once a week. or whatever time you set it to be. as a matter of fact. try to log on to your router. find the "group key renewal" change it. and see if it helps with your iPad.

if its not the "group key renewal" setting then maybe the wifi chip is bad, or overheating.

rekeying prevents someone from capturing enough data to get your passphrase or hack your wifi. it prevents a client from disconnecting and then recording traffic forever.

the theory goes is ads-256 takes trillions and trillions of years to hack. its pretty much impossible for a quantum based computer to brute force ads-256. so you figure every 30 or 60 minutes the key changes. so if i have to spend a googol years trying to break that 30 minute window then i have to spend another googol years to break the next 30 minute window!!!

6. rsquirrel, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014

rsquirrel macrumors member

I'm now having problems with my Wi-Fi. The only thing that I did was update the OS to the newer version since purchasing it. I did that a day or two ago and now this morning I can't get the Wi-Fi to work. That's the only thing different that I have done to the iPad mini for quite some time.

My computer works fine with the Wi-Fi.

I sent a contact us message from my computer to apple and they had me do a diagnostic test from the iPad mini. It's now working fine. Not sure what was going on. I had tried going to the Wi-Fi settings on the iPad mini and made sure it was trying to connect with my Wi-Fi network and it would just disconnect as soon as the check mark appeared. I just hope it is fixed and doesn't do it again.

7. bugaboo12 macrumors newbie

Can you tell us what the diagnostic test was that they had you do? If the test actually helps resolve the problem, that would be helpful info for us so we can try it too!

8. rsquirrel macrumors member

I just clicked on the link they sent to do the diagnostic test and then clicked on the Diagnostic Test button and that was it. Haven't heard anything from them since. Now it's working.