Mini is Expensive

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by polobruce, Apr 21, 2009.

1. polobruce macrumors member

Why is the mac mini so expensive compared to a 20" imac?

If you configure a mac mini with the 2.16 processor with keyboard and mouse your at 1,047.00 when for a faster imac 2.66 processor with a monitor... it's 1199.00

Any thoughts? I feel like the mini should be priced at $349 for the lower end and $599 for the top of the line configuration.

2. bry223 macrumors regular

Not to mention you get a bigger and faster HD and start out with more RAM. Mini should be starting out at $499 if you ask me.

3. azdunerat macrumors regular

Well they are geared towards two differnt market segments. I would never buy an all in one for my primary system, maybe as a secondary computer. The mini does everything I needed it to day and I already had a key board and monitor.

Also the mini makes one hell of a good little media server without taking up any space.

4. polobruce thread starter macrumors member

Don't get me wrong.. I Love the Mini

Don't get me wrong, I love the mini. I want to buy one to setup a server as well and love the small size. But it just kills me to pay $799 for a system when I can buy a dell starter server that has a faster processor, 4gigs of memory and 2 250gig hard drives for like $350.

Granted I can't run OSX and the server is a large black box.... But you get my point.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Four words: In Gin Ear Ing.

6. minik macrumors 65816

I have a 3.06Ghz iMac and 2.26Ghz Mac mini. When I configured the iMac last year, I didn't really look at the price tag. I meant it has a 24-inch stunning display, 3.06Ghz processor, and 4gigs of RAM. I moved up from a 17-inch studio display and PowerMac G5, the iMac was a better pick for me.

With the updated Mac mini, that's a whole different story. Apple assumed that the buyers have their own display, keyboard, and mouse. Could it be the form factor? You think it will be much cheaper for such a compact sized Mac.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

These two are often inversely proportional, as is the case with the Mini (pun intended).

8. Rondue macrumors regular

Qft

This is exactly what the Mac Mini is marketed to, that exact type of person.

9. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

Smaller = more expensive. Check out the Dell Studio Hybrid. Also much more expensive than a Dell tower. It costs more to engineer all those electronics into a tiny box.

Small - good - cheap. Pick two. :D

10. minik macrumors 65816

I totally agree. IMHO, netbooks are expensive for what they do.