mini mac crashed during encrypting my hard drive with file vault 2. help!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mighty zorlac, Feb 1, 2014.

1. mighty zorlac macrumors newbie

Bear with me I'm a newbie guys. I decided to encrypt my minimac with file vault 2 and halfway through the encrypting my mini mac crashed and reset itself.

It will not start up now and just displays a grey screen with a folder and a question mark.:confused:

I have run the mac disk utility first aid but it cant fix it when i boot into recovery mode. I bought disk warrior 4.4 thinking it could help. It just sees a locked drive so it can't fix it.

How do I unlock or turn off the encryption in order for me to run disk warrior and fix my drive?

Is their such a thing as typing a command into the terminal in recovery mode that will turn off the encryption?

Are there any other options to recover my files and programs that will restore my mac it to its previous state?I can see all the files and programs are still their on the drive in recovery mode.

I'm running Mavericks OS . Hoping anyone can help please? :)

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

There is no terminal command I know of (others may be a better help here), but can you copy the crucial files over to an external drive while in recover mode?

If so, you may have to reinstall your OS. The only way I could fix a corrupted encrypted drive to was delete the core partition.

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I'd just wipe it and restore from one of your backups.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

a crash during encryption can create a real mess...wipe and restore from backup is pretty much your only solution. You do have a backup, don't you?

5. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

i also think wiping is your only option left, but on the bright side, at least you'll have a clean instal :D

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like maybe your drive decided to die in the middle of the encryption, which is a very disk intensive process.

Try a command-r boot to recovery then start Disk Utility and elect the drive. Now click on the File menu the click Unlock drive and enter your encryption password. If things are not too wrecked it will unlock the drive and allow you to now run a repair disk on the drive.

If that won't work, go to the same menu and select Unencrypt and see if that works.

If none of that works, you can try to unlock then unencrypt using the diskutil command from Terminal in recovery. Read this.