Mini Mac question involving Windows xp or 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Rns1016, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Rns1016 macrumors newbie

Okay so here's the story,

I just sold my HP netbook because I wanted to buy something different. I really want to get a mac because their built to last from what I seen and heard. Now I wanted to know before I buy a mini mac, is there a way to have Windows XP or Windows 7 installed on an external hard drive that I can boot to?

More then likely I will be buying the mini mac at bestbuy with the extended warranty and I don't want to void the warranty in anyway. I'm kinda familiar with mac os x using my roommates macbook as I'm typing. I use it here and there. And I like it, just don't like the price :D

So anyway I can buy an external for a mini mac and install Windows on it?

Thank you guys I really appreciate it

2. alex00100 macrumors regular

yep. apple provides a built-in utility called Boot Camp. you can read about it on official site.
    also, its called mac mini, not mini mac. ;)

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The only problem is your requirement for an external drive.

Windows isn't happy on an external, especially on a Mac, and until we get some kind of Thunderbolt to SATA adapter that isn't a solution.

Boot Camp Assistant helps you repartition your internal drive to install Windows next to OS X. You can still use an external HDD under both OS X and Windows for data if you need more space.

Also note that in the 2011 Mac mini, you can fairly easily install a second internal HDD and dedicate one to each OS.

B