Mini or iMAC

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Sandman1969, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I am starting the planning on upgrading the 5yr old son's PC to a MAC (they use them in his school). I was thinking a Mini, plus a LCD. But more I look around it may be better to get him a 20" iMac. Maybe even the last white model.
    Doin the math the cost is relatively close, I believe. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Help my boy become a MAC head! ;)

2. Etherz10 macrumors member

i Have an Late 2006 White iMac & iv never had any problems at all
    zilch

it so perfect, iMac Would Be So Much Better

3. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

The current mini is an outdated piece of junk that could be updated or killed at any time. iMac, 100%.

4. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Thanks! That is what I am leaning towards. Gonna cost a little more, but probably be better in the long run. Wish I was my parent when I was 5!

Think I got a box of lincoln logs and matchbox cars when I was his age. :p

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Damn I never had a computer till I was 17 : /

I would go the iMac. Think of it this way, a few hundred more for a few years of extra life.

6. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

7. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

OMG, g33k parents :eek:

8. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

LoL! Far from a geek, just know it will help him get ahead. Since his Elementary school has MACs for his computer days (amazing what they do in kindergarten nowadays...), figure it would be a good time to switch. Plus I am tired of having to "fix" his Winblows box.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

10. Trip.Tucker Guest

Now.....was that a reasonable response?

11. ADent macrumors 6502a

No. The mini is about as fast as the white iMacs - both have the 667MHZ FSB and the same exact CPUs. The hard drive would be slower in a mini, but the mini will suck down fewer kilowatts.

Compared to the current iMac the FSB is slower and yeah if you get a 3.0GHz iMac it will be 50% faster than a 2.0GHz mini on CPU and FSB - but for the low end 20" you only get 20% faster CPU (and 50% faster FSB).

Plus the comment about the mini being replaced any minute - Ha. I actually think the iMacs are more likely to be updated first.

12. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Elementary + Macs = reminds me of playing the oregon trail.

13. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

You should consider the upgradability of the Mac Mini - you can buy new updates and have a screen to use. The mini IS due for updates, and a leading rumor in March said the mini was being gutted and re-engineered from the ground up. You might see them released in January if the rumor is true.

I suggest waiting just 3.5 more months until MacWorld 2009.

The iMacs are very nice, though, and so easy to use and carry around. If I was in college I would get an iMac so there is no clutter to carry around. When I was in college I had the crappiest Apple II+ and it was a method to transport around. Kids have it so easy these days.

...then again, if I had a monitor in my room and a monitor at home, you can just disconnect the little mini and tote it home on weekends in college. If you are mildly ambitious you can crack open those minis and upgrade the drives and memory yourself. I am hoping the updates (if they come) will make the mini slightly bigger with a regular drive inside, so we could have 1TB interior drives.