Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Apple killed like 5 birds with one stone
- Entered 7in market
- updated ipad line for lightning
- introduced stereo speakers
- introduce cheaper iPad
- managed to use some of those spare A5 chips

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I guess you missed the memo. It's not about specs anymore. It's about what you can do and where/how often you can do it. What good is that great resolution if I leave the iPad home more often than not or put it down after a shorter period of time because its heavier?

The ultimate iPad (and Apple) is about usability, not specs.

Ditto. And being the lowest cost iOS tablet helps, especially for first time iOS users.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I guess you missed the memo. It's not about specs anymore. It's about what you can do and where/how often you can do it. What good is that great resolution if I leave the iPad home more often than not or put it down after a shorter period of time because its heavier?

Which is why I think the March 2013 new model being released may be a non-Retina iPad Mini to replace the 2. Easy cash grab. People showed they will buy non-Retina in droves.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I question how big the 9.7" iPad market actually is now that we are given a choice. But what seems to be happening here is exactly what Apple has done with the iPod. You start out by dominating a product category with an awesome, but expensive product and then you cannibalize your own marketshare with cheaper versions. iPod gets replaced by iPod Nanos. iPad gets replaced by iPad Mini.

Personally, Ive been after a smaller iPad ever since I noticed how little I carried the original 9.7" around. And now that it's here then I dont think I'd ever buy a big iPad again.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
The mini is the perfect tablet for parents to give their toddlers for Christmas where the extra weight means a lot, and the resolution doesn't. it is a perfect beginners tablet into apples ecosystem at a much cheaper price. there shouldn't be any surprise it sells more.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Ditto. And being the lowest cost iOS tablet helps, especially for first time iOS users.
Dont forget existing iPad owners. Nobody "needs" two iPads but many of us justified the purchase of a Mini due to the lower price point. :D (For us, we traded our two big iPads for 3 small ones)

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I still think most people haven't figured out Apples strategy yet. The Mini was intended to kill the iPad 2.
Another strategy is to bring in the Walmart crowd, with a cheaper Apple product. Apple has made no attempt to hide the fact that they are now a big box, mass market retailer. Specializing in easy to use gadgets. Just one look at their amazing success proves that as they move down market, with cheaper products, they will continue to grab even more market share. Apple wins big as usual.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

Nope got the memo and wouldn't use a mini over a full size iPad even I got a free one. For me the iPad is perfect fits in with my work folder just fine and take it everywhere I go. I use to bring a laptop around with me so even when the first gen iPad came out it was a godsend. Wouldn't even consider something smaller that's why I carry my iPhone with me plus it's faster lighter and looks better than the mini. And btw you did say "ultimate iPad" those we're your words. Maybe you should rephrase your original post.

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
I'm loving my mini. Just the right size in my hand compared to my iPad 2. It's a shame because now the iPad looks so bulky and cumbersome in comparison. Especially with the lower resolution.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Don't think a lot of folks went for the 4 to tell the truth. It was not a BIG upgrade to the 3.

In a separate article, BI feels a new ipad is on the way maybe as early as March which will cut down on the size and weight of the larger ipads. Cannot wait to see those specs.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Nope got the memo and wouldn't use a mini over a full size iPad even I got a free one. For me the iPad is perfect fits in with my work folder just fine and take it everywhere I go. I use to bring a laptop around with me so even when the first gen iPad came out it was a godsend. Wouldn't even consider something smaller that's why I carry my iPhone with me plus it's faster lighter and looks better than the mini. And btw you did say "ultimate iPad" those we're your words. Maybe you should rephrase your original post.

You're just outright wrong. Please refrain from ever posting again. Thanks.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Dont forget existing iPad owners. Nobody "needs" two iPads but many of us justified the purchase of a Mini due to the lower price point. :D (For us, we traded our two big iPads for 3 small ones)

Agreed. A number of folks did just that.

Me...I have both. The Mini is my travel device. In the car for navigation, at the airport, at the coffee shop. My iPad is for home, on the patio, or hotel.

The Mini is all about form factor. Specs and retina not as much. Sure, the Mini 2 will get the buff in specs in 2013. But for now, it's a great device & priced right.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Doesn't even make sense. How can a subjective account be outright wrong?

Did you read his post? He compares the looks of the mini to the iPhone. Don't understand what the design of your iPhone has to do with the design or usability of the mini...

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
iPad mini:

- Cheaper
- Same size screen: Same exact amount of pixels as iPad 2.
- Perfect size to hold in your hand
- Fits better in pockets. It actually fits in most of my jean's back pockets and my jacket pocket.
- Most of the same features (includes Siri)
- Lighter

The one thing I like about the iPad 4 is the aluminum back. The back of my Black iPad mini attracts fingerprints like crazy and they don't come off easily when wiping. I've since installed a **********.net skin and it's fine now.

Just so you know, I've never owned an iPad before... I held off because I always thought the iPad was way too big and bulky. The mini is perfect though!

S

syd430

Did you read his post? He compares the looks of the mini to the iPhone. Don't understand what the design of your iPhone has to do with the design or usability of the mini...

Not sure what you are talking about. From the post you quoted, he means that there is too much convergence between his iphone 5 and ipad mini for him to justify carrying them both around. The full size ipad is larger and had a more distinct use case versus his iphone. There is no wrong or right here.

I dont care what he said about the looks of the mini vs iphone. It's irrelevant.

Also please stop up voting your own posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The mini is the perfect tablet for parents to give their toddlers for Christmas where the extra weight means a lot, and the resolution doesn't. it is a perfect beginners tablet into apples ecosystem at a much cheaper price. there shouldn't be any surprise it sells more.

I agree BUT it sure seems like previous ipad owners may be the bigger players for the mini than new folks buying it and trying the ecosystem or some getting it as a gift to try it out.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Not sure what you are talking about. From the post you quoted, he means that there is too much convergence between his iphone 5 and ipad mini for him to justify carrying them both around. The full size ipad is larger and had a more distinct use case versus his iphone. There is no wrong or right here.

I dont care what he said about the looks of the mini vs iphone. It's irrelevant.

Also please stop up voting your own posts.

Exactly his whole post is irrelevant. Your whole "too much convergence" argument is just as irrelevant the size of your phone has nothing to do with the size of the tablet, they're two completely different devices intended for different uses. That was my point the entire time and I'm not I guess someone reading must agree with me.

S

syd430

Your whole "too much convergence" argument is just as irrelevant the size of your phone has nothing to do with the size of the tablet, they're two completely different devices intended for different uses.

It's subjective. For me, there is too much convergence between the iphone 5 and mini for it to be worth carrying both around. The full size ipad makes it worth it for me as I can work much more faster on it than both the mini and iphone 5. In which case, for me the ip 5/mini are too similar whereas the ip 5/ipad are not.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
You're just outright wrong. Please refrain from ever posting again. Thanks.

Lol ok sure

----------

And actually your outright wrong go back and ready my post again lol. I never even compared the iPhone to the mini never mind the looks haha I said if I needed a smaller device than my iPad my iPhone will do just fine so do us all a favor and read before you post thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
One of the oddities of the post pc world is that people will be opting to have a variety of devices that all do--more or less--the same thing. My first reaction to the mini was "why have a small tablet and a phone!" But when I got to the the apple store and tried out the mini, my reaction was "why have a phone and a small tablet!" But since most people need a phone, and no one is getting into the dumb phone market--many consumers will end up with a smart phone and tablet with roughly the same computing power. Who knew!?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
One of the oddities of the post pc world is that people will be opting to have a variety of devices that all do--more or less--the same thing. My first reaction to the mini was "why have a small tablet and a phone!" But when I got to the the apple store and tried out the mini, my reaction was "why have a phone and a small tablet!" But since most people need a phone, and no one is getting into the dumb phone market--many consumers will end up with a smart phone and tablet with roughly the same computing power. Who knew!?

Maybe that will change in the future, witness the Note 2. I assume many would not feel the need for a tablet with that device.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California

Give me a break. I have an extremely difficult time believing that, other than in this MacRumors bubble forum community, people truly consider an iPad "too big to bring out of the home". I bring my iPad everywhere I go - trains, planes, cars, buses, school, bed, couch, park, anywhere.

I've heard this argument so many times, yet the funniest part is that iPad mini users have not once provided me with a place that you could reasonably bring an iPad mini, but not an iPad?

You wouldn't bring an iPad to a restaurant or to a bar -- but you wouldn't bring an iPad mini to either of those places, either. People use their mobile devices (phones) for super portability - if you're going on a walk, hiking, traveling on foot -- but you wouldn't go hiking with a tablet (medium or small). The thing is, people use their tablets, for the most part, in stationary areas -- for example a seat on a train, or a desk at school, or your bed, or a spot on the couch, etc. Since this is the case, I'm content with an additional pound of weight (less fragile anyways) in exchange for a larger screen (great for watching movies) and a better and clearer display (great for watching movies).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.