Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Moonjumper : We are still talking about iMac 24" recently introduced right? So I think you answered your own question.
The title doesn't refer exclusively to the 24", so I mentioned my own use case. But that is irrelevant to if this is an iMac killer (although I am not keen on using that word, but it is a common usage when competitor would be more appropriate). Regular users do buy their own monitors, all-in-ones are a small part of the market. A Mac Mini plus this monitor is about the same price as the equivalent iMac (as the base iMac is a GPU core short).

I got a 24" iMac when it was the largest available. I bought it because to get a similar quality monitor (from any manufacturer) was almost as much money, so I effectively got the rest for a bargain price. It was a similar story when I got my 27". That isn't the same today, there are some good quality screens at reasonable prices, and this Huawei screen is a very interesting option for both regular users (who will benefit from the extra height when word processing, using the web, etc.) and power users.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
One question I have is how it is possible that this monitor can be driven by one DisplayPort 1.2 cable. I did a quick calculation and it seems 3840x2560@60Hz@10-bit is slightly above the bandwidth limit.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
One question I have is how it is possible that this monitor can be driven by one DisplayPort 1.2 cable.

Really tight custom timings maybe?

I mean, this is how the 21.5" LG UltraFine does 4096×2304 at 60 Hz (8bpc) via one DP 1.2 cable.

Edit - The 21.5" is only 8bpc. I apologise!

Last edited:
Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
back view

E298UGzUYAE2i8o.jpeg

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Im not going to lie, its very nice and just comparing the price to a 24 iMac, vs this monitor and a Mac mini and a keyboard and mouse, its more expensive but you get more screen space. Im not a fan of the new iMac with the different color chin, I preferred the classic look. Very tempting

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
iMac 24" is for non-power users. The End.

In practice the term "power user" is hard to define in a useful way. If you need the best possible single-core performance, a 28-core Mac Pro is no good for you, even though by anyone's bar it's definitely meant for power users. User segments are far more granular than product segments that a single company can efficiently offer. What a product is for, and what it's good for, that's not a 1:1 mapping.

M1 is the best SOC Apple has released so far, and one must choose from what's available. Can't buy what's not released yet.

Which makes it easy (for me anyway) to understand, why people have a reason to deliberate between a Mac Mini plus a good display, or the new 24" iMac. Maybe both are not meant for power users, but both certainly have a lot of power compared to most of the market and in practice can serve a huge army of pro users. Each pro user has their special set of requirements and bottlenecks for performance, and M1 gets the job done for many.

Hopefully that helps understand the enthusiasm reflected by this thread, and other threads, whenever a new kind of monitor is released.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Nice to see it's going to be available in Europe. Launch date here (in Belgium) is August. And the price seems to be €699, so 700 instead of 600. Still. Comparing to a similarly priced Dell U2720Q, the advantage of 4:3 is clear.

BTW, connection should go over USB-C to get sufficient bandwidth, if I'm not mistaken.

Binary Wizzard

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2020
Wow! I gotta say, this looks amazing. The design is beautiful, very Apple-like. Aspect ratio and resolution is great.

I sure hope this will be available in Canada.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I saw this in a Huawei store last week and was drawn to it... didn't realise it was so new.

Considering one of these to replace my current 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor, which is 7 years old now. It still works though, so not in a huge rush - but if WWDC brings better external monitor support for my iPad pro I might jump on the MateView.

Only problem is that, from the specs I can find, it's 1cm too tall to fit under the shelf over my desk. I'd have to pull the monitor a good 3" closer to the front of my desk than my current one... not sure if that would be workable or horrible.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
If Apple made this monitor they would remove all the ports and replace them with 1 thunderbolt. Mac only. No touch controls. Add in a True Tone sensor, and charge $2000 for it.

Apple wouldn‘t make this monitor because it isn‘t a retina display (ppi is too low).

P.S. Don‘t get me wrong, this display looks interesting enough, but you have to compare apples to apples and not oranges.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
According to Steve Jobs, above 57 pixels per degree is Retina. At a viewing distance of 20 inches this is 60 ppd. So Steve would approve.

Also personally, I find that my 120 dpi monitor at work is nearly crisp enough for me, and my 185 dpi monitor at home is extremely sharp. So I'm sure anything above 140 dpi will look nice for my uses. Sometimes I feel that Apple goes a bit overkill on the specs which prevents them releasing useful mid-market products.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.