"Mini PC" Sold in Mac Mini Shells

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Tucom, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

2. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Apple has been using a factory somewhere (in China, right?) to mill out these unibody aluminum shells. I would guess the factory wants to make money, and if Apple isn't ordering as many of them as before, they'd want to do something with the stock they've got left...

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Well if these are "in fact" Apple mini shells, then they've gone to great lengths to change the bottom opening plate.

4. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Actually, that bottom plate appears to be related to a different product. If you take a close look at the corners, you can see that they are sharper than those on the Mini's case. (Also, the front and back images show Apple's standard bottom plate, rather than a plate that reaches edge-to-edge.)

In any case, this does appear to be a fly-by-night product. ;)

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

VGA is still a thing? I did not think VGA was still a thing.

6. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

What can I say
    They sure love to make clones

Clever

7. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Last year, my Mother went out and picked up a new monitor for her Mini. I'm not sure where she went, but it turned out to be a little LCD monitor that only had VGA input.

So yeah, VGA is still a thing. :)

8. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

There's even new, super budget Dell monitors with VGA only - I guess for something to get by on a basic level it's still relevant.

Still, at least DVI you'd think.

9. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Here it is:

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 4.01.17 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 4.03.31 AM.png
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2016 ---
    There's a lot of it about. When I hook my Mac Mini up to an LCD projector at work it is via VGA adaptor.

10. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

It amuses me that we take perfect digital content, use a DAC to convert it to analog VGA (causing a loss), send it over a cord in analog (which is more prone to interference), and then use an ADC to covert it from analog back to digital (more loss) so that it will work with the LCD.

11. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Actually, I've still got a couple of old CRTs sitting in my garage. It's quite possible that someone might still hook up a purely analog display to a VGA port. ;)

12. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

What mainboard is in that thing? It is just weird. But, unlike Apple, at least it is SOMETHING!

13. grcar Suspended

grcar

You mean, if Apple is (1) discontinuing the model or (2) changing the case then the factory in China might as well use the tooling it has to sell the cases to somebody else!