Mini Port to VGA

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Simzter, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Simzter macrumors newbie

Hi

I got myself a brand new Mac Mini yesterday. My monitor only has VGA - so I bought a Mini Port to VGA adaptor.

All was well for 24 hours, however when I woke up this morning, I got the "No Signal" message on my monitor.

I have hooked the Mac Mini to my TV via the HDMI - and tried to play with the settings with the monitor hooked up through the Mini Port.

In settings, I can "see" my monitor - however there is no display... just the no signal message.

I have hooked a regular laptop to the monitor - just to make sure the monitor isn't faulty - and all works well.

I don't have much experience with Macs - my instincts tell me it's the adaptor (which isn't Apple branded btw) - but before I replace it - I'm keen to hear if anyone else has any suggestions?

The Mac has been stationary - so it's not like the wire has been moved around - just a bit odd that it was working yesterday, and now it isn't.

Baffled...

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Sleep issue between monitor and Mini?

What happens if you unplug the display, and plug it back in?
    (Probably easiest to do this "at the Mini end")

What happens if you change the "display sleep" settings in the Energy Saver pref pane?
    (Suggestion, try setting display sleep to "never", and use the screen saver instead)

Does the display's control settings give you any options, insofar as sleep is concerned?

3. Simzter thread starter macrumors newbie

I've turned all the sleep functions off...

Oddly enough this morning, I plugged everything back in and powered it on with the monitor - and it booted up - monitor working.

However, after I shut down the Mac and powered back on - the monitor gave the "No Signal" message again.

I'm not convinced the adaptor is faulty any more - the monitor is fine as it works with a Windows Laptop.

I've had a look at the settings and changed what I feel could interfere - there's nothing there outside of the usual ones.

Just baffled me even more that it came to life this morning and died again after a shut down.

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

What leads you to that conclusion?

You've narrowed down the issue to being either the adapter or the mini itself. I'd say one of those is much more likely to be at fault than the other.

5. Simzter thread starter macrumors newbie

I drew that conclusion based on the monitor coming on this morning - there was no movement of the adaptor - shutting the computer down and turning it back on seemed to have caused the fault again.

I have to admit - I'm no Mac expert and don't know the logistics of the adaptors so may be wrong.

The Mini is brand new so wouldn't expect a fault but stranger things have happened.

Might try it on a TV through VGA just to further rule out a monitor issue.

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Which brand is the adaptor? If it's a new name I'd try a different one.

7. Simzter thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan-hdminidp-vga-mini-display-port-11a-to-vga-adaptor-cable-(apple-compatible)

It's a non branded one - I guess you get what you pay for.

I'm writing it off as an intermittent adaptor fault. Tested it on upstairs TV through VGA and got same error.

Think I'll get a refund and invest in a DVI monitor and use the HDMI to DVI connector that came with the Mini.