mini Question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by TheAnvil, Mar 10, 2014.

1. TheAnvil macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the i7 2.3 Mac mini.
    The primary reason, is that I want a machine running 24/7, hosting an Apache server, as well pushing two screens: a monitor and a TV.

1) Do Thunderbolt to HDMI cables carry audio?

2) In case I have multiple audio outputs 3.5mm, USB card and HDMI (and tb to HDMI); can I chose and switch output devices on the fly? Or at least duplicate audio streams on several/all outputs?

3) How hot will they run at idle? Will I hear constant fan going?

4) Installing an SSD alongside the 1tb drive it comes with, should be painless, right?

Thanks.

PS: I am not really interested in waiting for the next generation, because the current performance and form suit me, so please don't tell me to wait. :)

2. themeerkat macrumors newbie

Yes.

Yep, you choose between outputs in the Sound dialog in the System Preferences. Combining audio streams is a bit more complex, but can be done as well.

Not hot at all; pretty much silent at idle.

Not trivial, but not difficult either. As long as you're careful and patient with the process, you should have no issues :)

If you're planning to buy today, at least wait 24 hours; never buy a due-for-refresh Apple product on a Monday!

3. TheAnvil thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome! Thanks!

4. blanka macrumors 68000

Are you doing heavy Apache stuff?
    I turn off my Mini HTPC when not in use, and rely on a Raspberry Pi (35$, 5watt power consumption) for Apache. For me the speed of the Rasp is good enough.

5. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

Mine stays cool unless running a game or doing handbrake. The fan is very quiet while idling - my external hard drive is much, much louder than the mini's fan.

6. TheAnvil thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I got it. I am extremely impressed with how silent it is. I don't hear the fan at all. Although I can hear the ticking of the internal HDD, time for an SSD!

7. dalupus macrumors regular

Yeah that HDD can be quite annoying once you get used to not hearing them anymore.

8. And macrumors 6502

And

Then wait until the Tuesday in the week after, and repeat until eventually the new one comes out. :)