iPad mini Mini retina screen suppliers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrT-Man, Dec 8, 2014.

1. MrT-Man macrumors regular

This is really annoying -- we all know that Apple uses two (or at least two) different suppliers for iPad Mini screens. One of them has a very warm (yellow) color temperature, while the other is neutral -- and, to my eyes, the neutral one is higher contrast, more pleasing to the eyes, & overall, better.

I bought a 64gb Mini 3, took it home, and got a yellowish one. Not only that, but the yellow was much more pronounced towards the edge with the home button. I exchanged it, and got... another yellow one, although this one at least has better color consistency.

I noticed that all the Minis on display at a couple of the Apple stores that I've been to are the neutral/brighter/whiter ones. I wonder if Apple is specifically picking out the "better" ones to put on display, because it sure seems like it.

I don't want to be that guy who does multiple exchanges and is never satisfied, but it *is* frustrating that I can't just get something equivalent to the display models.

I think I'm going to give up and either get an Air 2, or stick with my gen-1 Mini until the Mini 4 comes out.

And as a word of caution, if you buy a Mini, make sure you compare it to the display models, and (if you got a yellowish one) you'll see what I mean...

2. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

Yes it is annoying. It's the same thing with every release what makes it even worse. I had to change three Mini 2's to get an acceptable one with an even screen. And that still is much warmer than the screen on my iPad 3. To be fair, that only bothered me for a short while. I actually quite like it now, it's not so hard on the eyes. What I can't stand though is an uneven or a tweetybird yellow screen. Apple needs to up it's QC or better even, change to a different screentechnology like oled. This is going on for way to long now and it's not acceptable if you're competing at the top. You can't put your customers in the situation where they have to exchange their newly purchased devices several times to get an acceptable one.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Reminds me of the macbook airs. Apple uses a few different suppliers and the displays are pretty much all samsung models, which clearly look better.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

While the multi suppliers is always an issue I would disagree with the mba issue being an issue as 2 minutes using the calibration tool solves the colour tone issues completely.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It gets it close. Calibration cannot make up for a better screen.

6. MrT-Man thread starter macrumors regular

So I'm on my third Mini 3 now... And so far, all three that have passed through my hands have had a warm color temperature with the bottom half of the screen having a noticeable yellow tint.

I wish I knew of a secret way to get a good one -- ie maybe the black ones are more likely to have yellow screens as compared to the white ones? Who knows.

Struggling with whether I should keep playing the return game, stick with the one I have now and sell it at a loss as soon as the Mini 4 comes out, or go for an Air 2 instead... Thing is, for my intended use (as a take anywhere device), the Mini really is the best form factor.