Mini Review-Macessity LapTuk

SubaruNation555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Arlington, VA USA
I've had my LapTuk for a couple of weeks now so I decided to post up some impressions.

Basically I needed more space on my desk since I mainly use my MBP with an external monitor. I shopped around for laptop stands and this one seemed like the best product. I got it from OWC for $40.

Pros:
-My 15" MBP fits underneath perfectly. There is plenty of room to connect/disconnect cables.
-The stand seems very sturdy. I have a 20" Cinema Display resting on top and there is no sagging. It could easily accomdate more weight.
-The stand does not slide around on my desk thanks to the non-slip feet.

Cons:
-The color does not quite match the aluminum on my MBP or my Cinema Display. Not really a big deal but disappointing for the price I paid and for a company that is Mac oriented.
-Seems a bit pricey for what it is but mac-specific accessories generally are.
-Not really a fault of the product but the computer does run a little hotter due to the reduced air flow.

Despite the small shortcomings I am very glad I made the purchase. My desk is much neater as a result and I have more space to work.

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
That seems cool. I am thinking of doing the MBP/external display combo as my next Mac, esp. if they don't introduce a matte display option for the iMac (not holding my breath).

Although, I suspect I'll greedily want all the screen real estate I can get, but this definitely looks like a good solution if space is an issue, or if I already have a good dual monitor setup. I dig it.

So you don't worry about the additional heat or anything over the long term?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not really a fault of the product but the computer does run a little hotter due to the reduced air flow.
With all due respect but what did you expect?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.