Mini Server Setup Question...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by mstratmann, Oct 29, 2009.

1. mstratmann macrumors newbie

Here's an interesting issue I've come up with, and hope that someone can help point me in the correct direction!

I have a Mac Mini Server with Snow Leopard Server installed. My setup is:

Cable Modem --> Time Capsule --> Server

I've been able to get everything to work, though when I go to Finder and "Connect to Server", I enter the web address, and it automatically points to my Time Capsule rather than to the server...I'm guessing that there's a simple fix to this, but I'm not sure what it is...I can get everything else to work, if I use a web address in a browser it points to the correct thing on the server, as well as the iCal server and wiki stuff is all perfectly fine, it's only the "Connect to Server" option that's become a struggle.

THANK YOU to all your suggestions!!!

2. TheCoupe macrumors member

Hi, can I just ask, is your local client machine using the dns address of the server to make the connection or your external dns servers?

The reason I ask is that if you are using the DNS of your Mini Server, then it will point you directly to itself for local domains and everything should work, whereas, if you are using external DNS for lookups, then you have to rely on port forwarding on your firewall to make things work, and if you tell your router to allow access to port 548, then you're really opening up the security of your system.

The easiest thing you can do, is, as a test... to manually enter your servers IP address into your dns (in system preferences / network etc) to see if this corrects your issue. If it does, you should be able to set your DNS address to be broadcast by your DHCP server, as that of your Mac Mini. This will save you having to manually enter it onto every client machine.