Mini Server vs. MacPro 2x 2.8GHz Quad Core

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DHart, Sep 15, 2011.

1. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

At present I'm using this machine with 10GB of RAM:

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
    Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 8

almost exclusively for LightRoom 3.5 editing of large (Canon 5DMkII) RAW files. Seems like this may be more machine than I need, overall, for this purpose. SO I'm thinking of doing a trade in on the new Mini Server, maxed out with RAM and processor.

The MacPro works great. But I'm wondering how close to this performance I might get with the new Mini Server, a maxed-out version.

Does anyone know how these two machines might compare for LR3 processing of large RAW files?

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Double posting is a bad idea. You have the same thread in the Mac Mini forum which is not recommended. Once is enough.

3. DHart thread starter macrumors 6502

DHart

There was no response of any kind, after days, with the other thread. It was only after seeing no activity there that I decided to try in this different forum.

4. fs454 macrumors 65816

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1193336

they Geekbench around 9400. My 2.8ghz octo mac pro hits 10-11,000.

I got a bit sad reading that actually, I've put my MP on a pedestal for so long and a Mac Mini almost matched its benchmarks.

You still have four processing cores on top of what the Mini has. Parallel processing is great to have when editing video/encoding, but honestly, it's getting close.