Mini to Run CS4 & Parallels w/AutoCAD?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by thebreadking, Mar 3, 2009.

1. thebreadking macrumors member

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Buying Tips sub-forum or this one, so Mods, please feel free to move it if necessary.

With the new Mini updates today, I've started to seriously consider picking one up as a workhorse at home. My current computer is the 1.67 Powerbook G4 w/ 2G RAM, and for what I need at the moment, it runs decently; however, I can tell that its a 3.5 year old machine and it won't run everything I'll need it to.

So my question to you is this: would the low end Mini, which I would upgrade w/ a larger 7200rpm HDD and 4G Ram, effectively run Adobe CS4 and Parallels/VMWare Fusion w/ AutoCAD at a decent clip? I understand that its Apple's low(ish)-priced competitor, but keep in mind that I'd be coming from using CS (and obviously no AutoCAD) on an older G4, so any increase in speed coming from three and a half years of computer advancements would still be fast to me...but would they be fast enough for my programs?

Thanks for the help!

2. djc6 macrumors 6502

Are we talking AutoCAD LT, or do you do any 3D modeling? Have you considered running AutoCAD via Bootcamp instead?

I can't imagine any problems running AutoCAD LT, or even some light 3D work as long as you allocate the virtual machine enough memory. For heavy 3D stuff I would use bootcamp.

I'm currently taking an intro CAD course and using Solidworks on my Mid-2007 2.4Ghz iMac w/4GB of ram. I have a bootcamp partition w/Vista that I can boot into or use as a virtual machine within VMware Fusion. While its perfectly usable inside VMware Fusion, I prefer boot directly into Vista when running Solidworks.

3. thebreadking thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. Ideally I'd prefer to run it under virtualization software just so that I can easily switch back and forth into Photoshop. As for 3D work, I wouldn't be using anything in the AutoDesk suite, unless we decide to go to Revit, though I do use SketchUp Pro on a pretty regular basis. Though SketchUp doesn't seem like the most processor-intensive application.

How much does processor speed play into the overall scheme? I usually wouldn't consider it, but is it actually worth it to spend the extra $150 for the extra .26ghz in order to better do what I want to do? Or is everything I'm looking for it to do more RAM-dependent?

4. adameels macrumors member

I was originally running AutoCAD 08 under VMWare which worked great for line drawings, no matter how large. I was also running Photoshop CS2 and InDesign at the same time on a low end mac mini I bought 12 months ago.

I switched to Boot Camp since I started using the 3D modeliing tools of AutoCAD.

As far as 2D is concerned, your workspace should function just fine with a new mac mini

5. djc6 macrumors 6502

This article might play into your Parallels vs. VMWare Fusion decision:

http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.25/25.04/VMBenchmarks/index.html

I personally use XP under VMWare Fusion on my 2.4Ghz 4GB iMac (Mid-2007), but I recently helped someone setup Parallels on a 2.4Ghz Macbook (Early 2008) w/2GB of ram, and I was blown away at how much faster XP was on the macbook. It was VERY noticeable.

6. thebreadking thread starter macrumors member

That's a good resource, thanks. Does anyone have any experience with a Mac Mini, or a machine spec'd similarly, running SketchUp Pro? I assume an upgrade to 4GB of RAM would help immensely, but is performance limited by the graphics card? Or is SketchUp a basic enough program to not have its performance throttled back due to the 9400M?

Thanks again for the help!