Mini to VGA for Projector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cuniac, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

I'm using the Mini to VGA adaptor for a projector at work and it will not push the video. I've tried several resolutions and refresh rates but not change. Other people using laptop with built in VGA don't seem to have any issues getting it on the projector but I cant seem to make it work. It does work when I plug it into a VGA monitor so I'm pretty sure the adaptor is ok. I also did that Apple mini to VGA firmware update but it was already up to date.

2. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Can you connect the Mini to a monitor (to test cables etc)?

Try different refresh rate.

3. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

As I had mentioned above I did try to a monitor and it worked fine. I had also tried different refresh rates with no change. It has to be some incompatibility or something with my MBP and this projector. Other people in my office can use their laptop with built in VGA with out issue.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Are you using the Mini DisplayPort to VGA? Be sure to try a different cable.
    Or, are you using HDMI to VGA?
    I have used both on a Mac mini.

The projector also has to see that there is video connected to its VGA port. Be sure that you are using the correct VGA input. Some projectors have both an input and an output port. There may even be a second VGA input that you can use.
    You may even have a DVI connector (or possible HDMI) port on the projector.
    And, the projector will have settings that scan automatically for any video input signal. You should also be able to lock it into the VGA port, and there may be other settings in the projector menu that may affect using your computer to connect to the projector.
    While the mini is connected to the projector (and everything is powered on), go to your Mac System Preferences, then to Displays. Do you have an Arrangement tab? That will ONLY appear if your Mac senses that there are two displays attached - such as the usual display, and your ... projector. Click on the setting to Turn on Display Mirroring (if it is not already selected).
    Does your projector image suddenly appear, showing your computer screen?

5. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its a Mini Displayport to VGA. I do see the Arrangement tab and I have selected Mirror. The projector just shows a Blue Screen. It will flash for a moment when I connect the adaptor but then just stays Blue. There is an error message about incorrect resolution but no matter what resolution I try it still does not work.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The "mirrored" choice would send the same resolution on the Projector that you have on your local screen.
    If you get no video on the projector, have you tried another cable, or at least tried a different MDP to VGA adapter?
    Make sure it's not a projector issue by trying another display, rather than the projector.
    All else fails - try an HDMI to VGA adapter.

Just to double check - Turn Mirroring Off!
    If the Arrangement tab shows both your local display and the second display, then it should work as an extended screen. The second screen (the projector) will be lined up along an edge of your local display - so try moving a window on your screen, until it mostly goes off the edge, into the second display. Do you see ANYTHING on the projector screen? The Displays window should ALSO show up on both your screen, and the projector screen, any time that pane is open.
    You can try the Detect Displays, and see what happens, if anything. If you don't see a Detect Displays button on the Displays pref window, then press your Option key and watch the Displays pane.
    Does ANYTHING appear on the projector screen?

Leave everything connected and the projector on. Turn off your Mac, so it goes completely off (not a restart, but shut down. Double check that video connectors are attached. Boot your Mac again.
    Do you see anything on the projector screen after your Mac gets to the desktop?