Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Just came back from Apple store, where I got my first hands-on with the mini. And this is going to sound odd, but I found myself feeling it's too small to hold comfortably. I did not mind the non-retina screen, and most touch targets seemed large enough, but the device itself... Thing is, I've had every iPad from 1 to 3, and I've always found the size comfortable to hold with two hands. The mini, if I hold it with two hands, I feel like my hands are too close together, and I feel my back and shoulder muscles kind of tightening up. But it's too big to be comfortable holding it in one hand. In other words, I'm afraid the mini is not for me.

I do love how light the mini is, and it makes me wish the regular size iPad were lighter, and now it makes me feel a bit depressed that the next major iPad refresh likely won't be until next fall. Had they not just come out with ”iPad 4," I'd be excited about the possibility of a lighter iPad coming in the spring that used the same design method as the mini and iPhone 5. :(

Anyway, for those of you who went from regular iPad to the mini, did anyone else find the mini awkward to hold at first? If anyone did, did you eventually get used to it? I do have an LTE mini on order, so trying to decide if I should cancel or not. Thank you for any input.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I came from the 2 and find the size to be flawless. I can see where you're coming from though. Just turn it to landscape.

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
----------

[/COLOR]I'm still on edge to return my 4 and exchange for a mini ..already have a MBA 2012 13" so I think the mini will balance out the MBA and my iPhone 5..u might as well keep it for a week or 2 and see how u like it

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I read the title of your post… not the entire post so ignore anything that may be repeated as I assume we have the same viewpoint.

I went to the Apple store yesterday and played with the mini… it is extremely thin and lightweight but I don't see much of a use for it (for myself) as the iPhone 5 is somewhat in the ball park. If I needed something bigger to do the reading, etc. on, I would just use the regular iPad as that (IMO) is the perfect size you can have.

All in all, if you have an iPhone 5, a 13" or bigger laptop, the iPad (full size) is probably the device for you. The mini is good, again IMO, for people like my wife or, in other words, mostly women as their purses aren't always big enough to hold an iPad. That being said, I will be buying one for her (she has an iPhone 4) once they add Retina to it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I read the title of your post… not the entire post so ignore anything that may be repeated as I assume we have the same viewpoint.

I went to the Apple store yesterday and played with the mini… it is extremely thin and lightweight but I don't see much of a use for it (for myself) as the iPhone 5 is somewhat in the ball park. If I needed something bigger to do the reading, etc. on, I would just use the regular iPad as that (IMO) is the perfect size you can have.

All in all, if you have an iPhone 5, a 13" or bigger laptop, the iPad (full size) is probably the device for you. The mini is good, again IMO, for people like my wife or, in other words, mostly women as their purses aren't always big enough to hold an iPad. That being said, I will be buying one for her (she has an iPhone 4) once they add Retina to it.

I also think the mini size is great for people who have an iPhone and 11" b.c that would be their middle size.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I came from the 2 and find the size to be flawless. I can see where you're coming from though. Just turn it to landscape.

I did hold it in both landscape and portrait. And I mostly use my full-ssize iPad in landscape.

Oh, and when I tried reading iBooks on the mini, in portrait, the pages would flip over several pages when my thumb inadvertently touched the screen. Apparently, the thumb rejection technology isn't fool-proof.

mostly women as their purses aren't always big enough to hold an iPad.

That is one reason I was considering the mini. I have some purses that have been sitting unused in my closet since the iPad came out. Would be nice to have a chance to use them again. But if the mini isn't comfortable for me to use, well, it makes no sense to carry a device I don't like just so those purses can get some use!

Last edited:

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
That's fine. There's a bigger iPad mini that might be just right for you called the ... iPad.
iPad is better for many uses. No one is making you buy an iPad mini.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
1st day using the Mini I felt maybe that it was too small, not so much physically but all the dialogues and everything displayed on the screen was too small, txt etc. I seriously thought about returning it, decided to give it a few more days.

2nd day and I'm used to it, not a problem anymore, picked up the iPad 2 to get settings off of it and it felt weird, like a huge clunky dinosaur. I'm used to the Mini now and won't go back. The iPad 2 will be sold.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Mini

Why would anyone buy a product with "mini" in the name, then complain that it's too small? :confused:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Why would anyone buy a product with "mini" in the name, then complain that it's too small? :confused:

Didn't buy it yet, just trying to make up my mind. And the point of my post was not to complain, but to ask if anyone else had problems adjusting when switching from regular iPad to the mini.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
The mini may indeed not be for you, but you might not be giving it enough of a chance. If you have one ordered, why not just try it out for the two weeks, and see how it suits you at that end of that time. If you research back and shoulder muscle tension, you will most likely find that it is unlikely to be physically caused by the slightly different ergonomics of holding the mini vs. regular iPad. It's quite possible, given time, that you might just find yourself actually relaxing and enjoying it!

Only you can decide this for yourself.;)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The only problem about the mini is not its size. It's the screen. I think the size and weight are perfect.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
1st day using the Mini I felt maybe that it was too small, not so much physically but all the dialogues and everything displayed on the screen was too small, txt etc. I seriously thought about returning it, decided to give it a few more days.

2nd day and I'm used to it, not a problem anymore, picked up the iPad 2 to get settings off of it and it felt weird, like a huge clunky dinosaur. I'm used to the Mini now and won't go back. The iPad 2 will be sold.

The mini may indeed not be for you, but you might not be giving it enough of a chance. If you have one ordered, why not just try it out for the two weeks, and see how it suits you at that end of that time. If you research back and shoulder muscle tension, you will most likely find that it is unlikely to be physically caused by the slightly different ergonomics of holding the mini vs. regular iPad. It's quite possible, given time, that you might just find yourself actually relaxing and enjoying it!

Only you can decide this for yourself.;)

Thanks for your helpful inputs. Yeah, I think I'll leave the order, and give it more of a try. But I'm pretty convinced my ideal tablet is a lighter 9.7 iPad. When technology finally gets to the point where we can have a 10 inch tablet as light as the mini, I think that'll be heaven! :D

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Just came back from Apple store, where I got my first hands-on with the mini. And this is going to sound odd, but I found myself feeling it's too small to hold comfortably. I did not mind the non-retina screen, and most touch targets seemed large enough, but the device itself... Thing is, I've had every iPad from 1 to 3, and I've always found the size comfortable to hold with two hands. The mini, if I hold it with two hands, I feel like my hands are too close together, and I feel my back and shoulder muscles kind of tightening up. But it's too big to be comfortable holding it in one hand. In other words, I'm afraid the mini is not for me.

I do love how light the mini is, and it makes me wish the regular size iPad were lighter, and now it makes me feel a bit depressed that the next major iPad refresh likely won't be until next fall. Had they not just come out with ”iPad 4," I'd be excited about the possibility of a lighter iPad coming in the spring that used the same design method as the mini and iPhone 5. :(

Anyway, for those of you who went from regular iPad to the mini, did anyone else find the mini awkward to hold at first? If anyone did, did you eventually get used to it? I do have an LTE mini on order, so trying to decide if I should cancel or not. Thank you for any input.

u wont get fair judgement in this forum. Everybody here loves whatever Apple released. Better just post something about problem with idevice, you might get some feedback.

Of course Ipad mini is too small. Thats why Steve thinks it is DOA. They should try to find ways to reduce Ipad weight not its sizes.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
No complaints here

Didn't buy it yet, just trying to make up my mind. And the point of my post was not to complain, but to ask if anyone else had problems adjusting when switching from regular iPad to the mini.

I said "anyone". Didn't say "OP" or call out anyone by name. However since you responded to my post . . .
"The mini, if I hold it with two hands, I feel like my hands are too close together, and I feel my back and shoulder muscles kind of tightening up. But it's too big to be comfortable holding it in one hand. In other words, I'm afraid the mini is not for me."

Yeah, that definitely does not sound like complaining at all :p

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I said "anyone". Didn't say "OP" or call out anyone by name. However since you responded to my post . . .
"The mini, if I hold it with two hands, I feel like my hands are too close together, and I feel my back and shoulder muscles kind of tightening up. But it's too big to be comfortable holding it in one hand. In other words, I'm afraid the mini is not for me."

Yeah, that definitely does not sound like complaining at all :p

You posted in my thread, therefore, you were responding to my OP, or at least to my thread title, were you not?

And ok, I was a bit disappointed that the mini didn't seem to work for me, so I wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else had a similar experience. Basically, I just wanted to talk about it. And yes, in this case, talking about it does include a bit of complaining. But so what? The main goal is to talk it over.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
You posted in my thread, therefore, you were responding to my OP, or at least to my thread title, were you not?

And ok, I was a bit disappointed that the mini didn't seem to work for me, so I wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else had a similar experience. Basically, I just wanted to talk about it. And yes, in this case, talking about it does include a bit of complaining. But so what? The main goal is to talk it over.

Glad you feel better now.

Dr. Phil :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.