mini-toslink out directly to 50" plasma optical in help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kmichael, Jun 15, 2008.

1. kmichael macrumors newbie

after a lot of searching on here i still have a few questions. i bought a 6' toslink cable and the mini adapter to connect to to the headphone out jack on my macbook. i connect that directly to the optical in on my plasma and i can not get any sound when i run itunes/dvd player/etc. i have tried to go in to the system pref and sound section and fiddle with the input and output section but no luck, anyone, please help! i have the video taken care of with a mini-DVI out to HDMI in but what good are the TV shows i downloaded from itunes with no sound?!

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Are you sure that the optical jack on your plasma is an in and not an out?

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

In the Sound panel, does it say its digital output?

Have you activated your TV's audio input setting to accept optical input? Is there a reason you need optical instead of analog (i.e., 1/8" mini jack to L/R RCA jacks)?

4. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

I second this. I have sold Home Theater products for a while now, and have yet to see a plasma (or any tv, for that matter) with an optical IN. Many HDTV's have optical OUT, but none have an input.

So...yeah. I guess it would help if we knew what tv you have, but chances are cyclingplatypus answered your question already.