Mini vs. 4th gen - Weight vs Screen. What's more important for a mobile reader?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cperry2, Oct 24, 2012.

1. cperry2 macrumors regular

I'm having a ridiculously hard time deciding between the mini and the 4th gen (base models, I'm aggressive with media management and I can tether), and am thinking aloud in the interest that there are some people like me trying to decide this as well.

The basic crux of it is: I'd love to take the thing everywhere, all the time. And the mini is about the width and weight (but not the height obviously) as the apple wireless keyboard. This tells me I can get away with slipping it into an inner jacket pocket without feeling like a douchebag (perhaps I'm wrong).

But the deal breaker for me is that I want to use the thing to read. I'm not in the market for an ereader, per se, because I still want to be able to do all the extra things that iOS does, but there's no doubt that the number one thing I will be doing with it is reading. Instapaper. Reeder. iBooks. Flipboard. etc.

Which makes the non-retina screen a non-starter for me. But the size and weight of the 4th gen simply needs a bag.

Just take a bag everywhere? I suppose. I'm thinking right now that the mini offers a tantalyzing prospect of a future mini with 326ppi, probably in about two years.

So thinking for a person that wants supreme portability but needs sharp text - but not an ereader - what would you choose? Money is irrelevant.

2. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

I'm ditching my iPad 3 and buying an iPad mini for these basic reasons.

- Portability/Weight

- Fit in my inside coat pocket

Even though the iPad mini is not retina it has a higher Pixel Per Inch then the iPad 2. I really think the portability/Weight is something many people will want and not feel like they are lugging around something to awkward for their daily media consumption lives. I know I'll be carrying my MBA with me a lot less now.

3. cperry2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Yeah, I'm currently leaning towards sucking it up re: resolution because the size/ weight is just that big a deal.

I have a theory that the mini will be the only one once it gets a retina screen, or at least the most popular one, as the 9.7" will then only have specs to sell that would only appeal to a far smaller market, once the screens reach parity.

Somebody needs to take a picture of the original ipad next to the mini... The look of progress.

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I would go with the Mini, as you want to bring it everywhere. The screen will be fine. I'm thinking about getting a drawstring bag to put the Mini in, super easy to bring with all the time.

5. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Both ;)

iPad mini (with LTE) for reading, games and on-the-go browsing.

iPad retina (wifi-only) for movies, work/productivity apps and graphics intensive processes.

32 GB in each should be plenty as I also have 32 gb on my phone for music and "time-waster" games and info apps.

6. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

drawstring won't provide protection. You need to get a mini messenger

7. JSalig macrumors 6502

As someone who can often read for hours at a time, the fact that the ipad mini is around the same weight of the 2nd generation kindle is pretty awesome. There's not a great weight difference between the other 7" tabs and the ipad mini but once you hold a device long enough in your hand, every gram begins to count.

Once the ipad mini retina comes out, there could be quite a jump if a bigger battery is required for the retina screen. I believe there is a difference of 50 grams from the ipad 2 to the ipad 3. The slightest difference in weight and form factor could possibly offset some buyer's remorse and make readers want to hold on to their original mini.

I want the best of both worlds. I'm strongly considering selling my ipad 3 and getting a galaxy note 2 and then buying an ipad mini with retina next year. I won't do that until I check out the ipad mini in person though.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm talking about the drawstring bags that you can wear on your back. I don't need protection, just use a case or smart cover in the bag.

9. cperry2 thread starter macrumors regular

Just as an aside, I think the smart covers for the mini are atrocious. I really wish they offered leather versions/ colours, and kept the metal clip rather than that strange coloured appendage wrapped on the side (hard to describe).

10. iAco macrumors regular

Does the iPad mini merge the LCD with the touch panel like on the iPhone 5?

I don't like the space between the glass and LCD on the previous generation iPads.

Does anyone know?

11. urkel macrumors 68030

BOTH!

IMO, Im getting the Mini but both models are not ideal for reading. The bigger iPad looks great but isn't very comfortable due to the weight and is highly reflective, and the Mini nailed the size and has the bonded glass for less reflection but lack of retina makes it inferior to the iPad 3/4. So for the best mobile reader then we will have. To wait for next gen when the Mini has retina and the iPad has a redesign than trims off the extra weight and bezel.

12. cperry2 thread starter macrumors regular

Tis exactly the dilemma. I think the ideal ipad is somewhere between the 4th gen and the mini; in other words, the mini with a retina display.

But physics and economics say we just can't have that right now, so I'm pretty confident I will vote with my wallet for the mini.

I'm fortunate enough to have upgraded to an rmbp over the summer, so I'll have that for the big-time retina experience, and to get real work done. Yes, OS X and a trackpad/ keyboard remains the best and often only way to do certain things... cars and trucks...