Mini vs Atv- image quality?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Bokes, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Bokes macrumors 6502

I have an Apple TV and I have tried to hack it for use with ISO files and external drive with no success. (Image stutters, drives not recognized, etc)
    I have been just streaming from my Mac pro- but I prefer not to leave it running 24/7- not to mention the fan noise is kind of a drag when watching a movie.
    So I am thinking of going with the mini. Assuming it runs quiet- I would not have issue keeping it on. My concern is what kind of image quality will I get compared to what I get with Apple TV? Looking to play SD iso files and itune rentals.

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I had an ATV and I returned it and kept my mini, and I love my mini for streaming. No problems whats so ever.

3. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

My buddy has a new Mini and uses it to stream TV to his Samsung 52".

It looks great as a computer monitor too. These Mini's are incredible
    machines for the money.

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I have to agree, I use a displayport to dvi, then a dvi to hdmi. A great picture for me.

5. Bokes thread starter macrumors 6502

I would not stream. I would place the mini right under my Pioneer plasma as if it's a dvr/dvd player along with a 2TB hard drive and play out via display port to HDMI convertor. I live in an apartment condo and streaming can be flaky. Hard wire will be most stable results.