Mini vs Imac for video editing

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by samuibeach, Apr 18, 2018.

1. samuibeach macrumors newbie

samuibeach

Which has better performance for video editing?

Mini
    i7 dual core 3ghz
    16gb
    1tb fusion

OR

Imac
    i5 quad core 3GHZ
    8GB
    1TB ata

where can i find speed tests for each?

thanks heaps

2. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Are you looking at used or new ones? My recommendations below are assuming you're talking about the current new models sold on the Apple Store. If not please add more information such as what year those models are from and their price.

The mini is outdated and expensive for what it is. I wouldn't recommend it.

The 2017 4k base iMac I believe you are talking about is much better but it comes with an HDD so it's going to feel very slow. If you go with this one, customize it to get the SSD instead.

3. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

We need a little more info on the specs of each one. The quad core will obviously have more power than the dual core, but you don't mention if the iMac uses Intel graphics or AMD/NVIDIA. And I agree with Glmnet1, an SSD is a must, and I think you'll really feel the sluggishness of a mechanical hard drive doing video work.

Personally, the mini's specs are just way too outdated for my liking. Apple hasn't updated the internals in years.

4. samuibeach thread starter macrumors newbie

samuibeach

yes im looking at current models for each.

will the fusion drive be sufficient?

--- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2018 ---
    the imac has built in
    Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB video memory
    sorry im not posting very clearly

if going with Imac i5

-is it easy to upgrade the 8gb to 32gb by myself?

-will the fusion drive do the job. I only work with HD footage

5. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...1-inch-aluminum-retina-4k-mid-2017-specs.html
    https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i7-3.0-late-2014-specs.html

The iMac is over 50% faster than the Mini. In fact, the iMac has the same Geekbench rating as my 2012 2.6ghz quad i7 Mini. I considered getting the 2014 3ghz mini but went with the 2012 quad because it is 50% faster at rendering video. But the iMac you are looking at has better video than my 2012 quad mini.

My 2012 quad mini is dedicated to video/audio editing with Final Cut Pro and Logic.

6. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

- Not on the 21.5". The 27" allows you to upgrade RAM though. I think it has a much better value if you can afford it.
    - Not the 1TB, the SSD portion is too small. A 2TB might be fine but there are a lot of advantages to a pure SSD: less risk of failure, better performance, less noise and heat, support for AHFS etc. If you need more space than the 256gb or 512gb you can always buy external drives.

7. samuibeach thread starter macrumors newbie

samuibeach

thanks for the advice
    im going to see if i can manage a 27'
    cheers

8. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

Check the Apple Refurb store and also B&H. I scored a good deal on my 2017 iMac 27” from Apple. The key is to figure out the configuration you want, and check the refurb store often for that item to appear. Their stock changes all the time. The iMac I got looks like new and has been trouble free so far. I even added AppleCare to it. I figure I saved at least $200 going that route, even paying sales tax.

I went with the 256gb SSD, and I upgraded to 16GB later. If you must do Fusion, make sure it’s a 2GB or greater, as you get a much bigger SSD cache drive than the 1TB.

9. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Also, you're probably aware but WWDC is in less than 2 months so you could get a better computer for your money. Probably 6 cores.

10. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

I'd stay away from a fusion drive and get the largest SSD I could afford and use external drives for any extra space needed. You will want to keep your media on an external anyway. Also, fusion drives are not yet compatible with the APFS that High Sierra uses.

11. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

APFS is for SSD-only drives, and officially supported by only Apple-provided ones at that. While I gather it has some benefits, it's not what I would call a critical update. If APFS is the future and Apple wants to keep selling devices with mechanical storage and Fusion drives, they will eventually have to bring APFS to all formats.

12. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "yes im looking at current models for each.
    will the fusion drive be sufficient?"

DON'T buy a "new" Mini.
    The design is FOUR YEARS OLD and the video power will be limited.

DO consider buying the iMac, BUT...
    Can you spend just $100 more?
    If so, DON'T get a fusion drive -- get the 256gb SSD option instead.

YES, I know it's "too small" for the work you intend to do.
    But it will be a fast, fast, FAST boot/run drive.

Get a USB3 external drive (HDD or perhaps a 500gb or larger SSD) to hold your data.

If you must "have it all on the internal drive", consider the 2tb fusion drive. It has a 128gb SSD portion -- enough to hold your OS, apps, and accounts "on the SSD". It should run much better than the 1tb fusion drive, which has only a tiny 32gb SSD portion.

Edit:
    Be aware that to buy from Apple, you have to "special order" the SSD models through the "build-to-order" page. It's worth the wait.
    Also be aware that a FEW places stock these models "ready-to-buy". My friend just ordered the 2017 "base model" 27" iMac in the 256gb SSD configuration from B&H Photo in New York. Ordered Wednesday, got it Thursday before noon.
    (NO financial interest, just reporting as a satisfied buyer)

13. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

+1 on B&H Photo. I've done business with them for years.