mini vs. imac - Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MoleSkine, Jul 16, 2009.

1. MoleSkine macrumors member

Hello all -

Quick background - bought 24" imac - returned it next day. Waiting now for refund check via mail. Wanted to buy 20" imac, configured to same specs as 24".

Browsing around apple store and thought - why not get a mini and 20" display from dell (or whatever). I know specs are lower on mini so I was thinking to config to higher ram. The processor speed is lower in the mini as well 2.26 is the highest u can go. while the imac 20" is 2.66

Question is - Why would someone choose a mini over imac? What do you feel is better choice ( ill prob be saving 200$ - think)...

Just need advice (will be doing reg comp stuff - photos, music, writing projects). :(

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

People get an iMac if they don't already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
    People get a Mac Mini if they already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Perhaps they already have an external monitor to use?
    Maybe they prefer the smaller form factor?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You've hit it - the mini is a cheaper alternative. If you've got a keyboard and mouse and monitor, you're good to good. It's meant as an entry point for the PC users used to el cheapo prices.

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Hello, I don't know if my input may relate, but recently I chose the Mini over the MBP to also save cash. I also kept my MacBook in that case.

If anything, look at what you need to do on it, and see if the specs will be suitable for your needs. For example, another reason for me going with the Mini is cause I sold my flatscreen for a 23" Acer H233H, which is better than a 15" MBP.

I also consider this portable, as all I have to do is slide it in the box, and I can hook it up to the Apple cinema displays on my campus.

It's all about priorities. Mac Mini is something also for people who want to save money, or already have a monitor to use for it. The specs are stil superb to use for my graphic design needs in college (soon as I upgrade HD & RAM), so overall I am grateful for my purchase.

In this case, I've saved well around $1000 + my 2006 MacBook

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As MacMini2009 said, people choose it if they already have monitor and other accessories. It's perfect for switchers who don't want to sped thousands for just testing the OS X. I'm planning to buy one in future and use it as HTPC and media server.

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Well I personally couldn't spend $1199 on an iMac all at once. So I chose a Mac Mini + a Monitor for only $750. I already had a keyboard and a mouse.

8. jointsmoking macrumors regular

Many of us like the mini's small form factor. Makes it easy to move around and it's very useful to hook up to TVs and such. It's part of my intertainment system.

9. MoleSkine thread starter macrumors member

Ya - I do not have monitor, keyboard and mouse I have but its something im lookig to get rid of. plus with all the stuff id upgrade to itll be same exact amount as configured imac but lower processer speed.

Cool - thanks for replies...ugh when the hek is this refund check going to arrive :mad: so i cant stop conjuring up all these different ideas and just order.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you need to save money, the mini is an excellent machine. For power users (photographers, graphic design, 3D render, photoshop, etc) the mini will be pushing it.